• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking in Athens and Santorini

Franci

Hi.

We are leaving for a cruise in few days, we are going to stop one day in Athens and one day in Santorini.

Likely we are going to have our meals on board but I'd be very interested to buy food that I could easily put in my suitcase (we are fliying back to Nice at the end of the cruise) and I'm particularly interested in biscuits, breads, candied fruit.

Any particular good youghurt place where to bring the children? And a place for good snacks?

Of course we are short of time, so location is important, we are going to have barely the time to visit the most touristy parts of town.

Thanks

Of course we are short of time, so location is important, we are going to have barely the time to visit the most touristy parts of town.

In Athens, the "touristy part of town" is the Plaka. It's like the "old quarter." There are tons of shops, cafes, bars, etc. You and the kids will find plenty of interesting things to see and do and buy as you wander through. There are all sorts of sweets and snacks shops in there as well. Most of the Athens city tours take you to the famous sites, usually in the morning, and then off to the Plaka for lunch and a little free time to explore on your own. That will be all you need.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Another thought...

I was a travel agent for some 15 years, and have visited Athens several times. If you don't want to take a group tour arranged through your cruise ship, I'd strongly suggest you get in touch with George, the Famous Taxi Driver of Greece.

Either he or one of his sons will pick you up at the cruise terminal, and give you a guided, personalized tour, including suggestions for restaurants and assorted treats to pack up and take back with you. That would undoubtedly be the best way to go, especially since you are traveling with children. Even though it's late notice, you can email them and make the arrangements. I very highly recommend George, and know you won't be disappointed.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.