• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using Seafood from a Can

Peter the eater

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

now Lets get to the   ' Using '  part.

If you've got some preserved lemon on hand, this recipe from the Zuni Café cookbook is very good, even if you didn't confit your own tuna.

Marcella Hazan's Fettuccine col Sugo di Tonno con Aglio e Panna is also truly excellent. It calls for both heavy cream and a bit of Parmesan.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

@blue_dolphin 

good ideas.  

guess what I have to do is :

start w what I have , pick a pasta shape for the Pot.

cook w or w/o my new ' light broth'  technique  for the pasta water

then dup in the one can of "" What i Have "  

and then see what it tastes like.

then add what might enhance it and then see.

Porky things inhale everything

am Im thinking in that direction 

as i have a lot of Porky Things , most from Broadbent 

"" Ends "" is now my middle name 

or more accurately   " Ends on Sale "

so its now  :

Rotuts EoS

cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

how can I use the canned tuna + the pasta to get something that's reasonably tasty.

Agree about using tomato sauce, chunky tomato with some onion. I'd also add your kalamata olives & maybe capers. Penne pasta and crushed red chili pepper. Yes, I'd put cheese on top. Sounds like overkill (with the salty flavors), but something salty like feta or Parmesan.

• Like 1

St. Jude's seems like a wonderful company.  The shipping costs are breathtaking!  I'm actually thinking about that 24-can approach.  It feels like a whole lotta tuna.  But I guess I could send some to my brother.  Who eats a whole lotta canned tuna.  

1) Slice up some garlic cloves.  Pinch of red pepper flakes.   Heat, but do not brown in olive oil.

2) Make some pasta.   Add with a bit of retained water to pan.

3) off heat, add lemon juice, canned tuna, parsley, capers.   Olives would be good too.   Salt as needed

• Like 2

I do have a ' supply ' of lower end tuna.

from Target.com.     and Im pleased I do.

my mother put a hot breakfast every day on  the table for me and my sister.

way over cooked poached eggs , in a steam-over the water aluminum poacher

on toast.   and a home made dinner every night.

the meat sauce simmer on the stove for hours , and took several days to eat

she mixed in a lot of pasta and that was that.

after day 3 - 4 , pre micro days , the pasta concoction 

heated in the oven ,  became a new item :  like lazarus , it was a bit crunchy.

and the cheese came from Kraft , in the flourencent dark green container

I digress :  someone taught her to take canned tuna , lower end , and mix it

w beaten egg whites , seasonings , an put this on top of toast

and broil it.  it was very good .

we had this for quite some time , and no one complained.

it was made daily , not weekly and re-heated.

I have no complaints about the food my family had , and what my mother made

please under stand , I lived in Spain for two years  and two years in France.

nothing like a pain-au-chocolat   fresh from the bakery 1/2 block away 

still warm and crunchy , w home made hot chocolate

FR I think then didn't have marshmallows at the bakery , so none

floating on the top.

I was 4 y.o,       heaven it was .   the plastic place mat was green , and that

i didn't care for.   it did not resemble a GBP  BTW.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Even lower end canned tuna makes a decent salad with cannelini beans, capers, green onion, lots of olive oil, and a healthy splash of red wine vinegar. I ditto the upthread comment about tuna croquettes. And I must confess I'm fond of a salad of low-end tuna, sweet pickles, mayo and cooked pasta (preferably small shells). 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

His site appears to have 32 pages of recipes, some of which presumably would be from the book.

https://www.fish-tales.com/cooking-with-seafood/recipes/

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

27 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

The Amazon.com listing for this book offers a generous sample of the content via the "Look Inside" feature.

I purchased the kindle edition of The Tinned Fish Cookbook, last month after Evan Kleiman interviewed the author, Bart van Olphen, on her podcast (link to episode here

I wanted to try using some tinned fish other than tuna and anchovies and thought this would be handy for some ideas. I have yet to procure the actual fish though!

Edited to add that when I go to Amazon.ca, I can also see a "Look Inside" feature but it only offers a few pages of the book while Amazon.com offers many pages. Curious.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

I received a paper copy of TIN FISH GOURMET by Barbara-jo McIntosh couple days ago. She grew up in B.C., Canada. The book looks really interesting. I'll report back.

• Like 3

I needed tuna for my dinner.  The light in the bedroom isn't great and the first tuna I found was Callipo.  Perfectly OK tuna but the cans are impossible to open.  I resorted to silicone gloves and pliers, and then digging the tuna bits out with a knife.

If I ever buy Callipo again it will be in glass jars.  Which are on sale at SupermarketItaly.com at the moment.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I needed tuna for my dinner.  The light in the bedroom isn't great and the first tuna I found was Callipo.  Perfectly OK tuna but the cans are impossible to open.  I resorted to silicone gloves and pliers, and then digging the tuna bits out with a knife.

If I ever buy Callipo again it will be in glass jars.  Which are on sale at SupermarketItaly.com at the moment.

The tuna on this salad was Callipo - the quite small cans, that come three to sleeve (on sale at somewhere or other, I bought a bunch).

I didn't seem to have a problem opening these, but yes, every once in a while, the tab snaps off or something else goes wrong and I start cursing at the can industry. Just let me use my can opener, please!

1371802760_Tunaonasalad05-25.jpeg.02aacf46eefcbda95894a961429f96ac.jpeg

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I splurged recently and bought Lummi Island Tuna from WOOT!   It was a daily special, but still a splurge at $7.50 a can.  I buy Ortiz and Santo Amaro and other Euro canned tunas when on sale when I find them.  I am picky about canned tuna.

Lummi is very, very good.  It's a solid chunk of very flavorful tuna, it takes some effort to flake it.  Last night I just ate it out of the can, I had dropped a can and dented it and didn't want to risk storing it.   Glad I bought it, but the price did make me hold my finger over the "complete purchase" button a little longer than usual.

The jarred Callipo is really good.  I recently found the one with tuna, potatoes and rosemary was delicious.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

The jarred Callipo is really good.  I recently found the one with tuna, potatoes and rosemary was delicious.

Goya is doing something similar, like a Mediterranean tuna salad in a can.

image.png.350a449f5e79cdf3a73b57b10527e9af.png

It's freakin' disgusting. I mean, if I were stranded on an island...

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@weinoo 

you should be so lucky to be on an island.

Im on one , myself , by deliberate choice.

and my companion is Chef BoyAreDee , in the red cans.

as I know it could be so much worse.  and is for many.

well there is MC , but he is not interested in C'BODee

not really.

it has many tunnels and many rats.

these days the rats , via the news w restaurant closings

rather toothful

and too many people.  

esp these days.

tongue-out.gif.5d99365951ed6cdb1f3053017fd20185.gif

Edited by rotuts (log)

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Horrid! Years ago they had one with octopus. Unloaded it at Big Lots or 99cent store. Bizarre texture.

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

image.png.350a449f5e79cdf3a73b57b10527e9af.png

It's freakin' disgusting. I mean, if I were stranded on an island...

Ah man, you had to go and remind me I did try that Goya stuff once on the recommendation of a friend.   I thought I had successfully repressed that memory.   Same opinion as yours.  Dreck.

The Callipo stuff is a whole 'nother level.   It's excellent.

• Like 1

I guess I should thank my 

Lucky Stars

[ed.:  an expression of my mothers.  not quite the same as " Maybe you should get your head examined ? ]

that my Co-Pilot  , by personal choice , as Co-Pilots are scarce these days 

Chef BoyArDee

does not offer   "  Fish in a Can w overly sweet red sauce  "

see ?  perspective is key these days.

On 5/10/2020 at 1:28 PM, blue_dolphin said:

If you've got some preserved lemon on hand, this recipe from the Zuni Café cookbook is very good, even if you didn't confit your own tuna.

It's sort of funny to me, I made that recipe (including preserving my own tuna) when that cookbook first came out, and it was really excellent, to the point where the ideas in it sort of infiltrated my culinary repertoire. I've been making similar pasta dishes ever since, without ever re-visiting the original recipe, and over time it turns out I've dropped several ingredients. Tonight I went back to the original, and it is terrific. I used a non-home-canned tuna this time (the Wild Planet stuff) and was really pleased with the results.

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

1 hour ago, Chris Hennes said:

It's sort of funny to me, I made that recipe (including preserving my own tuna) when that cookbook first came out, and it was really excellent, to the point where the ideas in it sort of infiltrated my culinary repertoire. I've been making similar pasta dishes ever since, without ever re-visiting the original recipe, and over time it turns out I've dropped several ingredients. Tonight I went back to the original, and it is terrific. I used a non-home-canned tuna this time (the Wild Planet stuff) and was really pleased with the results.

Thanks for this. Judy Rodgers legend lives on in our own permutations.