• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Joseph Schmidt Videos on bowl making?

dhardy123

About a year ago I watched a couple of videos of Joseph Schmidt showing how he made his decorative chocolate bowls. I *think* they were on his old website. Did anyone see them? and are they still out there somewhere?

Thanks

I watched them Kerry, but can't find them either. He also made some fun tulips. If you have a question, maybe all our collective minds could help?

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I can't speak to Schmidt's technique, but in the pastry class I took last year, we did a lot of chocolate tulips and boxes, and I presume bowls could be made in much the same way as the tulips. The key for those is to get high quality (thick, not water-balloon-style which are designed to pop!) balloons (w/o writing is best), blow them up to about a 3-inch diameter, and seal. Stick a metal sheet pan in the freezer while you're doing this. Then rub crisco/shortening lightly on the bottom, where you're going to dip in chocolate. Take the cold pan out and immediately dip the balloon in the tempered and slightly cooled chocolate, either very deep for a bowl, or alternating sides with the balloon tipped...3 dips looks nice for a tulip. Then set the balloon onto the sheet, stick in the fridge, and wait for the chocolate to harden. Then snip the balloon, wait for the air to come out, and peel away from the tulip. There may be a slight hole near the base which you can fill with molten chocolate if you like.

Boxes, for anyone who is interested, is more straightforward but I'd argue slightly harder. Pour out a thin layer of tempered chocolate onto the back of a sheet pan. Marble in another color if you like (I particularly like the dark/white swirling effect, but you can use a wood-grain pattern too), and let harden on the counter, just until set. With a sharp warm knife, slice the chocolate into panels the size of each side of your box. Don't forget a lid--this looks really nice sitting or perched diagonally on top of the box. Pop the chocolates into the fridge to set completely, and place a sheet pan in a preheated oven (temp needs to be over 200 degrees, but specifics don't matter). Pull out your cooled chocolates and your warmed pan, and (wearing gloves to not mar the chocolate), begin to assemble your box. On parchment or your staging area, set down the base. Then grab two of the squares for side pieces, and touch them to the warm sheet, the bottoms of both and the sides of one. Place them (melted side down) on top of your base, with the other melted side between them. Continue like this for all of the sides, touching the squares to the pan to form your chocolate "glue."

This is all pretty time consuming, though, so if anyone wants an easy shortcut, buy the foil mini muffin liners and dip those instead (no need to grease). Drain upside down on a metal rack and put in the fridge to harden. Then remove and peel off the foil...these make great mini-desserts when filled with a berry mousse or chocolate mousse, and you can use the same base for all of them.

Here's a pic of some really sloppy ones I made last summer (raspberry mousse on left, blackberry on right): DSC_0051.JPG

Thanks for finding them!

The balloons recommended as I recall are the pear shaped ones for water balloons.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)