• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

So, how do you carry around your gear?

ScoopKW

My kit has outgrown my knife roll. My freakin' knives have outgrown my knife roll.

So, I need something to carry all this junk around. Most people seem to use tool boxes from various hardware stores.

Anyone have a preference? Anything beat a toolbox from Sears or Home Depot?

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Hmmm... can't seem to edit. Guess it's been too long.

Let me expand a bit:

I bought one of these at Home Depot yesterday:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MSGO64/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000BDISDW&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0EFCNTMZG2KHXW12NHE0

This thing is just perfect. It has that flap for storing peelers, thermometers, pens, etc. And then it has plenty of room for blades and other kit necessities.

Problem is, at 18-inches wide, it's about two inches too short. (My 300mm gyuto is 19" overall.)

I also liked the look of this box:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917628000P?i_cntr=1286981749202

The cantilever design and long storage compartments look like they'd be ideal for kitchen kit. But this one also suffers from being just a wee bit small for my chef's knife.

Then we have cases like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Messermeister-Mobil-Chefs-Wheels-Black/dp/B00062BA74

and, of course, Ferran Adria has a Louis Vuitton custom set:

http://www.ilvoelv.com/2009/11/maitres-du-savoir-faire-ferran-adria.html/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/louis-vuitton/4071699417/

But both of these examples cost more than I'd like to spend. In the latter case, I'm guessing "about as much as a small car" more.

Buy something like this camera case and cut your own slots. This one is 21" long.

This one is even bigger(25" long), and it has wheels and a retractable handle!

The pictures don't reflect it, but I think cases like these usually allow you to cut the foam to suit your own needs. You might want to check some out at a camera store first to make sure.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

The pictures don't reflect it, but I think cases like these usually allow you to cut the foam to suit your own needs. You might want to check some out at a camera store first to make sure.

Reading the reviews it appears that the foam is a series of squares that you pull out to create the configuration you want.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

A friend of mine who caters weddings and things wears a bandoleer and holster. She does it mostly for show but it appears quite practical.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I ended up buying a $30 tool box from a hardware store.

Then I brought to bear years of woodworking experience (and equipment that would make Norm Abram envious) and built a set of stackable trays that fit inside the box -- complete with knife holders, gadget caddies, etc.

Everyone who has seen this now wants me to build trays for him/her. I could probably start a nice little sideline in baltic birch tool box inserts for cooks.

It's not the most elegant solution, but it's practical. I think there is a ready market looking for a product here. Eventually, a chef/engineer is going to come up with the gear-box that every cook covets.

That sounds interestingand I'd love to see a pic or two, it also sounds like how "Gerstner" got started in his toolchest business.....

I have the luxury of working in my own kitchen, so I don't carry knives around day-to-day.

BUT, when I did, I subscribed to the toolbox camp.

I still think tool-box styles are the best, and while steel ones are easily had, I still prefer the plastic ones--They don't rust, and you can toss the whole thing in the d/washer when it gets grotty. A toolbox also comes with hasps, so they are lockable, and they're too big and noticeable to stuff down a jacket or otherwise somehow walk off with. In this case, bigger and uglier are better.....

I have built tray liners for gadgets and knives to fit into the kind of steel toolboxes with two drawers and an uper compartment, out of sheet plastic styrene and glued the whole thing with model airplane glue. Good idea but not all that durable. If I were to do it again, I'd make it out of sheet acyrlic/plexi-glass--it's still d/w proof and soft enough on knife edges. Wood sounds good, just sounds harder to clean--no luxury of tossing the thing in the d/washer, and it would probably need the occasional wiping out with tung oil or similiar.

That being said I have made a few chocoalte and confectionary making items out of used nylon cutting boards--running them through a thickness palner to 3/8", cutting them on the table saw and assembling them with dados, open mortise and tennon,and countersunk s/s screws. The best thing about this style is that when it gets dirty, I just toss it in the dishwasher

• 1 month later...

I have friends who are caterers and they bought these locking pistol cases to carry their knives Thermapens and etc. They use a bicycle cable lock to fasten the handles to a pipe or secure table leg to make sure the cases don't "walk off" while they are working.

They tried camera cases but someone cut through the side of one to get at the inside - didn't take anything but ruined the case. The skin on these is tougher and the interior foam is quite dense and holds up well. They cut slits so the knives are placed on edge rather than flat so they can get more into the case.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have friends who are caterers and they bought these locking pistol cases to carry their knives Thermapens and etc.

I didn't think to try gun cases.

That pistol case is too small -- I have a 19" knife. But a small rifle/shotgun case might be ideal. You could plonk it down at the back of your station, and it wouldn't take up much space. You'd have access to everything. Best of all, it's unlikely anyone would mess with you on your way to the parking lot.

Something like this would be pretty bad-ass.

I have friends who are caterers and they bought these locking pistol cases to carry their knives Thermapens and etc.

I didn't think to try gun cases.

That pistol case is too small -- I have a 19" knife. But a small rifle/shotgun case might be ideal. You could plonk it down at the back of your station, and it wouldn't take up much space. You'd have access to everything. Best of all, it's unlikely anyone would mess with you on your way to the parking lot.

Something like this would be pretty bad-ass.

They have long slicing knives that fit diagonally and the others are fitted in stepwise from the outside in from long to short.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I was kinda opportunistic back in my early kitchen days/daze - my gear carrier was a green pickle bucket: plenty of room for a knife roll, a tool roll, maybe a rolling pin, various garments, etc. Each blade would be in a protector, so everything was safe - even if not particularly stylish. (Though as soon as I peeled the labeling off, I had a new place to share my gallery of stickers....)

I've seen a few of these around: Messermeister Executive Chef Attache Case

They're very nice and the longest dimension is stated to be 19" -- not sure if that's going to accommodate your biggest knife or not.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought a strong duffel bag from Target for $20.

Then I bought a few hard plastic rubbermaid-type containers that fit inside the duffel. One is large, and two are shorter and stacked on each other. The containers essentially just barely fit inside the duffel, and add a structure to it that protects the contents. I adjusted the strap to go corner-to-corner for more stability when carrying it.

My knives go in a netbook case from TJ Maxx ($10) that I attached to the side of the duffel with carabiners. I keep plastic guards on the knives so they can all go in together. Even though the netbook case is not very large, it holds a chinese cleaver and two 8" knives (chef's and santoku) while still being able to close.

It's cheap but actually looks better than it sounds, and is very functional. I specifically bought a duffel with a number of pockets, so there are plenty of places for personal items, mp3 players, medkits, various odds and ends. Plus I can take dinner home in it and know it will be upright when I get home, because our to-go containers fit perfectly in the rubbermaid containers.