• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

wine glass with a crease?

chezcherie

last night i had the pleasure of dining at the home of friends of a friend.

they have planted 100 vines in their back yard, and he has quite the garagist set-up for making his own wine. a really interesting couple, clearly enjoying the good life.

we got talking about wine glasses, and he brought out a couple glasses i'd never seen before. they appeared to be mouth-blown, with a "crease" or divot pressed into one side of the glass. it looked as though while the glass was formed, but still molten, the blower had pressed one side onto a table edge, creating an area that indented into the interior of the glass. (oh, i fear i am not explaining this well.) the idea, true or not, is that when one swirls the wine, the indentation causes disruption in the swirl, which aeriates the wine more. i dunno if all that's true, but it was a lovely glass, and would make a great gift for several oeniphiles on my list. he did not recall either where he picked them up, or who made them, and i was unable to find a mark anywhere on the glass.

anybody?

really wish i had taken a photo, but thought it might be rude. maybe if i send a realllly nice hostess gift, i'll be invited back...? :wub:

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

thanks for this, dick!

it's close, but not the one. this one was glass (the one you referenced is polymer), and the crease, rather than running horizontally, was vertical and at a slight slant. but that's the general idea. (i'm sure you are utterly correct about its doubtful efficacy. that being said, i have a few friends who would just love these silly, pretty baubles!)

the quest continues...

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

• 1 month later...

aha! i know it's a gimmick, but i still know several folks who would enjoy the gimmick!

wine glass with "aeration crease"

www.chezcherie.com