• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC 2010 lunch or dinner with $100 budget

Teddy Devico

I am going to eat in NYC soon and cannot decide where to go. I have been to Jean Georges, Bar Boulud, EMP, Del Posto, and Bouley for lunch and was able to get away only spending about $30 for each restaurant. Now I have about a $100 budget for the next restaurant I go to. I know Per Se has a 5 course menu, but I do not know how much it is because the Per Se website is always down. I would like to try Marea, Daniel, Aldea, etc. There are so many good places and I need help on making a decison. Where should I go?

Wow, that is some great list of places you've been to!

Regretfully, I haven't been (yet) but Le Bernardin does a prix fix lunch for $70 which looks mighty good and in your budget range. http://www.le-bernardin.com/

By the way, awesome blog! Very impressed with your culinary knowledge and curiosity. Keep up the informative and interesting posts!

That wasn't chicken

I would love to go to Le Bernadin, but I am allergic to fish. I am able to eat shellfish like sea urchin, crab, lobster, prawn, etc., but I cannot eat anything else (tuna, salmon, bass, etc). I do not know if it would be possible to go to Le Bernadin because all of the stocks probably have fish bones, and then the stocks are used in shellfish preparations. I would have to call them up before I go to see if it would be possible.

Thanks for the support on the blog and I will try to keep lots of posts coming.

Marea, Gramercy Tavern, L'Atelier Joel Robuchon, WD-50 (you sound very curious about food which is awesome - trying to recommend a good mix here). You can easily do Aldea on your budget - it's great - and I would recommend sitting at the back counter so you can watch them cook.

ETA: Marea and Robuchon are really expensive, but they're a la carte menus and since I assume you won't be drinking I think you could get a good sense of the restaurants by ordering well. Gramercy is prix fixe in the main dining room but the front tavern room is wonderful and more affordable.

Edited by daisy17 (log)

Considering you've checked out a couple hi end French places I highly rec WD-50. The concepts and flavors will blow you away.

Wylie and crew are some of the nicest and approachable chefs. He was more than willing to provide my wife and I a kitchen tour, explain and show us a couple molecular/modern techniques and even offer a sample of a dish my wife was curious about.

I imagine he'd do the same for you esp when he hears about what your up to and your ambitions.

Go there dude, seriously.

That wasn't chicken

• 4 weeks later...