• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Spectator Top 100 Wines

Howie

Yes, but redundancy puzzled me too.  Not that it matters.

There is considerable redundancy in language. If you delete every fourth word in a sentence, for example, the result is surprisingly comprehensible. Take this picked at random from the Times today

Mr. Padilla is an American citizen who was declared an enemy combatant by President Bush last June, a month after his arrest, and has been held in military custody with no contact with his lawyers.

Born in New York City, Mr. Padilla was convicted of murder as a teenager in Chicago. Released after he turned 18, Mr. Padilla moved to Florida, where he was convicted of a weapons charge in 1991.

Then, the government says, he moved to Egypt, took the name Abdullah al-Muhajir and traveled to Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan, getting acquainted with terrorists and suggesting he might be able to steal radioactive material for a bomb. The federal government has accused him of plotting with terrorists to detonate a radioactive, or ``dirty,'' bomb in the United States.

Becomes
Mr. Padilla is American citizen who declared an enemy by President Bush June, a month his arrest, and been held in custody with no with his lawyers.

Born in New City, Mr. Padilla convicted of murder a teenager in. Released after he 18, Mr. Padilla to Florida, where was convicted of weapons charge in.

Then, the government, he moved to, took the name al-Muhajir and traveled Saudi Arabia and, getting acquainted with and suggesting he be able to radioactive material for bomb. The federal government accused him of with terrorists to a radioactive, or bomb in the States.

It loses some of the meaning but not, I suggest, a quarter. The main loss is that you have to work harder to interpret it -- there’s more ‘noise’.

QUOTE (Wilfrid @ Dec 4 2002, 05:07 PM)

Yes, but redundancy puzzled me too.  Not that it matters.

I thought, in my mind that, (just my opinion, mind you), that being redundant, I think, to the English means being fired from one's job, just a thought....

• 3 weeks later...