• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brazilian Carne Seca - How to make?

Anybody know how to make Brazilian Carne Seca? I know I can't get it here, but I do make Jerky and other cured meats, so thought it could not be that difficult. I want to make it for recipes that call for it like Feijoada. Even a description of what it's like and perhaps some of the spices and flavors might help me design me own recipe. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Brazilian carne seca (also known, depending on the region, as carne de sol is an unspiced, salted, partially air-dried piece of meat. It's normally, though not exclusively beef. Carne de sol can also be made from lamb and goat.

To make a very good simulation of Brazilian-style carne seca, just follow these steps:

1 piece top sirloin, 2 lbs. (1 kg.), sliced horizontally into 2 pieces, 1 inch (2 cm.) thick

2 Tbsp. kosher table salt

Bring meat to room temperature before working. Rub salt into all surfaces of the meat. Let rest, loosely covered with plastic wrap, at room temperature for 30 minutes. Cover each piece tightly with plastic wrap and place in freezer for 12 hours. Remove from freezer and immediately grill, over medium heat, for 15 minutes. Then serve, or cool and reserve for use in another recipe.

James

Flavors of Brazil

http://flavorsofbrazil.blogspot.com/

• 1 month later...

The recipe that Flavors of Brasil gave is not for Carne Seca. It is the "domestic" recipe for Carne de Sol.

Carne Seca is diferent from Carne de Sol. Carne de sol has just a litle salt, Carne seca is more like a Salted Cod Fish.

I don´t know where you live Loki, but to make the real carne seca you will need a dry weather with low humidity (like a desert).

I recomend that you try this recipe. Take 1 kg meat ( you choose ) and 1 kg salt.

Cover the meat with the salt and leave in your refrigerator for about 8 days. Always put off the water that come out from the meat.

Bye!

Rio de Janeiro,Brasil.

• 2 months later...

I'm in the same boat as Loki; I live in New Zealand and am trying to make feijoada. When I lived in the US and even China I could either buy carne seca locally, or arrange to bring it to China with me, but NZ is a different story. If it can be made at home, I'd love to try it! And if I cannot get it, what's a good substitute, or should I just leave it out (the latter is what I've done in the past, and it seemed OK to me).