• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stupidest gadget awards

torakris

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit the chick saltshaker is pretty cute, and the table setting placemats could be useful as a teaching prop.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

The fork with the built in pizza cutter looks like one of the most useless devices ever developed! Not only would it be extremely difficult to use and hold but it also appears to be quite unsafe!

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

If you're going to buy a gimmicky pizza-wheel cutter, you might as well get one with some panache to it:

Star Trek Enterprise Pizza Cutter

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

If you're going to buy a gimmicky pizza-wheel cutter, you might as well get one with some panache to it:

Star Trek Enterprise Pizza Cutter

Awesome. Now you can look like a gigantic nerd in two completely different ways!

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

• 3 weeks later...

That's a winner in the "Stupidest" awards category.

I swear that woman could sell sand to the Arabs.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I was over perusing the Sur La Table sale, and came across the GarlicZoom! It looks like the car from hell: you put the garlic in the "passenger compartment" and roll it across the counter. The wheels spin blades inside the passenger compartment and dice the garlic. I don't know what's more surprising: that is exists, that is costs <$10, or that it seems to actually operate as advertised (at least according to some blogs).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU3MMm756NY&feature=player_embedded

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure anyone has mentioned , in this thread, the Robo-Stir. Perfect for Ris :wacko: :wacko: tt :wink:

Paul

That gadget looks a bit flimsy to me.

I have had and used a Stir-Chef for several years. In fact I bought a second one to keep in reserve because I feared they might fade away and I'm very happy that I did. They no longer seem to be readily available.

I use it for fruit curds and cooked custards that require constant stirring over very low heat and some sauces that also require prolonged stirring over low heat.

I never used it for risotto.

I seldom made risotto before I got my Thermomix in Nov. '09 but since then prepare it several times a month because it is so easy and effortless. I have discovered that there are many "flavors" to enhance this rice dish.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Andiesenji,

I have never heard of Thermamix..

Thanks for the tip.. looks interesting.

Paul

There have been a couple of topics on this forum for some time.

Here is one.

And another.

Kerry Beal has one, as does Anna N - the latter has the TM 21.

I'm a member of a forum that started in the UK but most members are in Australia but there are a few in Canada, several in the UK, some in Spain, Italy, at least two in South Africa and a few in European countries.

Lots of activity and sharing of recipes on

ForumThermomix

Very helpful and friendly folks, just like here on eG.

I should add that Vorwerk does not actively market the appliance in the U.S.

I bought mine from Canada - they sell via "Consultant demonstrators" at home-based parties and this kind of system has gone out of favor in the U.S. in recent years.

It is expensive but can certainly pay for itself when you figure how much you save in both food cost and time spent preparing it when you stop using so many prepared foods.

As noted in one of the links I posted, I have found it very useful for a few specific tasks that used to take too much of my time and had become difficult because of my arthritic hands.

To me it is worth it just for the marzipan and the risotto.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

This:

My link

Why would I want to bake a full size version of a cupcake that was was intended to be a single serving size of cake?

Me no understand.

Really there's a motherload of stupid gadgets here:

My link

These are all about silliness and fun. I have one of these pans and the huge cupcakes are regularly requested by folks at work and by kids. There is something smile producing and ridiculous about anything absurdly large or small. It's a cake embellishment the same way that fancy piping or tilted layers are. Really, there is no need to bake anything but a sheet cake - it is much easier to frost, transports easily and tastes the same as a tall lovely layer cake. But everyone loves that tall, beautiful cake. Aesthetics count a LOT in cooking, I think.

This:

My link

Why would I want to bake a full size version of a cupcake that was was intended to be a single serving size of cake?

Me no understand.

Really there's a motherload of stupid gadgets here:

My link

These are all about silliness and fun. I have one of these pans and the huge cupcakes are regularly requested by folks at work and by kids. There is something smile producing and ridiculous about anything absurdly large or small. It's a cake embellishment the same way that fancy piping or tilted layers are. Really, there is no need to bake anything but a sheet cake - it is much easier to frost, transports easily and tastes the same as a tall lovely layer cake. But everyone loves that tall, beautiful cake. Aesthetics count a LOT in cooking, I think.

My thoughts exactly! Well said, Kim.

I know a woman who bakes special cakes for kids who are being treated for cancer and other serious illnesses.

She uses this pan set to make a cake decorated like a circus tent and they are very popular.

Edited by andiesenji (log)