• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pinquito Beans

Porthos

Pinquito beans are a part of the traditional Santa Maria BBQ which my 29 y-o daughter said she wouldn't mind having sometime soon. I went on-line to Rancho Gordo's web site and found them. The $8.00 shipping charge is more than 1 1/2 times the cost of the 1 pound bag of beans. That is more than I am comfortable paying since it would make 1 pound of beans cost $12.95. They're good and they're authentic but...

Can anyone tell me of a less expensive internet source or if they can be found in western San Bernardino County, the east end of Los Angeles County, or the north end of Orange County?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I've seen them at one of the local SoCal chains for sure, routinely. It may have been Albertson's, but I'm thinking maybe it was Vons/Pavilions. Or possibly Stater Bros. They're not that rare, at least in my neck of SoCal. Couldn't hurt to check all the ones local to you.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I had the same dilemma last week. I had planned to make Santa Maria-style BBQ for house guests. I've found them in Mexican markets in the SF Bay area but there are none to be had in my new location. I used Pinto Beans. They turned out delicious. I wouldn't sweat it. Pinto Beans are a bit bigger but by the time I added all the additional ingredients, the taste difference was not noticeable.

Lobster.

I will check Albertsons and Stater Bros. I've checked at Ralphs and Vons. I have to be in Orange County tomorrow so if I can make time I will check there.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

As I was reorganizing, for the 57th time this month, my pasta/bean cupboard this afternoon, a couple of other possible outlets popped into my mind. Fresh 'N' Easy seems to have a very good selection of dried beans. I can't say I've specifically found, nor looked for, pinquitos there, but I did just score a bag of dried cranberry beans I have not seen anywhere else locally. And although you've said you checked at Ralphs, and Food 4 Less is a Kroger operation, Food 4 Less seems to cater to a more Hispanic audience than some of the other chains. They might have them as well, and possibly in the bulk produce section too.

Good luck on the hunt !

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"