• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Angel Food Ministry - Legit?

mikefood

I've been out of work and trying to feed my family good quality food on a very very tight budget. Have anyone ever heard of Angel Food Ministry? How's the food?

On the site:

Angel Food is available in a quantity that can fit into a medium-sized box at $30 per unit. Each month's menu is different than the previous month and consists of both fresh and frozen items with an average retail value of approximately $60. Comparison shopping has been done across the country in various communities using a wide range of retail grocery stores and has resulted in the same food items costing from between $42 and $78.

Credit goes to Rebates Money

What's your average weekly budget? Do you have a freezer that you can use to take care of things if you buy in bulk occasionally? If you do, you may just want to keep shopping around using the sales circulars for your local grocery stores.

I frequently see chicken hind quarters on sale here for under $5 for ten pounds. Whole pork loins frequently go for $1.69-1.89 per pound as long as you buy the whole thing. Both of these are a great way to eat cheaply and can be broken down into smaller amounts and then frozen. I freeze the hindquarters in threes (three thigh-leg portions) and the pork roasts in two pound cuts. I use the bones from the ten pound bag of chicken to make stock. I always look for good deals on frozen produce and I get a paper every Sunday to use the coupons. When it comes to fresh produce I just buy what's in season or what's cheap and looks good; those two things tend to overlap most of the time, though. To get the good deals, I shop at both grocery stores in town and sometimes go out of my way to pick things that I prefer up. Though I hate to admit it, the only place I can go to get my favorite cheddar (Cabot Extra Sharp 2 pound block, by the way) is a Wal-Mart 20 miles away, but we go to Target for diapers and wipes and other such things in the same town so I just stop and pick up a couple blocks, cut into quarters, and bag and freeze. It works, and it saves me money over buying it here; the 8 ounce blocks here are $4.59 whereas the whole 2 pound block there is less than $7.

Being a stay at home mom and living on one income, I've dealt with a lot of these things. Over the three months my husband was laid off, we ate very simply. Lots of eggs, frozen vegetables, mac & cheese made from the dregs of the cheese drawer. Not a whole lot was wasted. Now that he has a job at which he's making more than he was at the previous one (though not by much more than a few cents), we're doing fine, but we're getting off track as to budgeting. Getting us back on track is my project for the next couple of months and this is my plan for doing so.

Tight budgets suck, but as long as you're willing to do a lot of your own stuff (baking your own bread, making stock, making your families treats and snacks) it really isn't that horrible of a thing to do. Interestingly enough, it can show you how little time it actually takes to do some of the things we take for granted when there's more money to go around.

If you're really dead set on utilizing that program, though, I'd suggest sticking with the fruit and veggie package and maybe the meat packages. You're going to be pretty safe if you assume that nothing horrible is in those. I've been thinking of trying out one around here for a while, but haven't really had to do it money-wise yet. Then again, our gas bill come February kills us. Heh.

I don't have personal experience with Angel Ministries, but have heard from several people that it is a great service. The food will vary each time, so I imagine how much you like it will depend on how much you like to cook/eat what you receive. I believe there are very few, if any, processed foods, so it wouldn't work well for those who want instant food. I don't believe you're in that category, but thought it worth mentioning.

Deb

Liberty, MO

My sister buys the packages from Angel Food. I think they have too much processed food, Maison--chicken nuggets, breaded fish, some 'entrees' in 2 pound boxes. They have different packages, and you can indeed buy 'instant food'--prepared dinners.

I don't do math :hmmm: , so I can't compare prices, but they claim their $41 box will feed a family of 4 for a week.

sparrowgrass

Wow, I guess it's changed since I last looked at it. I remember the boxes having a few fresh meat/poultry items (not processed) and things like pasta, rice, canned/frozen vegetables and maybe bread. Doesn't anyone cook/eat anything that doesn't come out of a box? Why would they purchase this stuff to give to needy people? It seems like it would be much cheaper to get bulk REAL food to distribute. Or do they figure that many of the recipients are homeless/living in a motel room and only have access to a microwave at best? How sad it all is.

Deb

Liberty, MO

I work for a social service agency that gives referrals to there for people and the food is not that bad, really. Pretty decent for the price you pay.

But I do understand it can vary by region...

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child