• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pittsburgh

Amy Viny

I've been to the Steel city about 6 times in the last year and love everything about it but----the restaurant scene. The Strip District is a fantastic foodie experience. We enjoyed Lydia's and a couple of the breakfast/brunch places--Pamela's are fantastic but we have never had another good dinner in a restaurant there since. Help. Where should we eat. We spend most of our time around the Carnegie Mellon campus but we'll drive for a good meal. We like anything good (Italian, Pizza, Asian) but favor authentic simple food. We appreciate a bargain but are willing to pay more for something worthy. Any ideas--Thanks in advance!

Newly opened in Pittsburgh: Salt of the Earth from chef Kevin Sousa. This was a long anticipated opening but has been worth the wait. Sample preparations (which can change during service if necessary):

Apples with fig, fennel, horseradish, feta

Chicken Livers, grits, greens, chartreuse

Pork Belly,pretzel, cabbage, sarsaparilla

Duck Breast, banana, pear, carrot, almond (sometimes with sweetbreads)

Prep is rustic; food is delicious

5523 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh PA 15206

412-441-7258

http://www.saltpgh.com

Kitchen open until midnight

mds

I haven't been to Pittsburgh for a couple of years but the last time I was there I enjoyed dinner at Le Pommier very much.

Perhaps if you post your inquiry on the Pennsylvania forum, you might receive more responses(though the posts there tend toward the Philadelphia side of the Commonwealth, so perhaps not).