• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knives - Moving up from Forschner

Shel_B

I am looking for an eight (probably) or ten inch chef's knife to use in my GF's apartment. Her knives are terrible, but she doesn't cook much any more, and doesn't need (or know how to use or properly care for) a good quality blade. I was thining of getting a Forschner because of price and because it's more than acceptable for her needs, and will be a BIG improvement over the junk she's now using. However, I was wondering what the next step up in quality might be. What would you recommend as a somewhat better knife keeping in mind that GF doesn't need a high quality blade. In fact, the main reason I want to get her a new knife or two is for my use - I cook at her house several times a week and would like to use something better than what's currently in her knife block (Chicago Cutlery and other no-name blades).

Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

How about a Kyocera ceramic chef knife?

They'll stay sharp longer and are extremely high quality Japanese knives. Very low (no) maintenance. They don't bend, so they can shatter. If you need to smash some garlic or bone a chicken, you can whip out the old knives.

They're affordable, but not "cheap" knives -- Ming Tsai (currently on Top Chef, 8 season TV show on PBS, beat Bobby Flay on Iron Chef) uses them.

I bought the Forschner's to give them a spin -- not a fan. They need a lot of sharpening.

How about a Kyocera ceramic chef knife?

They'll stay sharp longer and are extremely high quality Japanese knives. Very low (no) maintenance. They don't bend, so they can shatter. If you need to smash some garlic or bone a chicken, you can whip out the old knives.

They're affordable, but not "cheap" knives -- Ming Tsai (currently on Top Chef, 8 season TV show on PBS, beat Bobby Flay on Iron Chef) uses them.

I bought the Forschner's to give them a spin -- not a fan. They need a lot of sharpening.

I don't know anything about ceramic knifes. Having a knife that can shatter does not seem like a good idea for my GF ... what are the real advantages of a ceramic knife?

I read: "Although ceramic knives are much harder than steel, they do not have superior strength. These knives are very rigid and inflexible. This means that you have to be very careful when you're using or storing them. The edge of ceramic knives will chip if you use them roughly.

Ceramic knives may also crack or shatter if you use them for pressing, twisting, or prying. The knives may also shatter if you accidentally drop them. They are only meant to be used to cut foods that are unfrozen and don't have any bones in them. You will chip the edge if you cut into bones"

My GF does not take very good care of her knives and I wonder of these disadvantages would make ceramic blades a poor choice for her.

Yes, Forschner knives need sharpening, but my GF rarely uses her knives, so the sharpening issue is a minor one for her, and when I'm at her place, I don't mind sharpening her knives.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

For the purpose described, I'm not sure there's anything better than Forschner or one of the other economical foodservice brand knives. The next logical step up, one of the more economical Japanese-knife brands, seems like a bit much for the circumstances.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The QPR on Forschner can't be beat. I grew to love them when I worked in the industry, not because they're the best knives, but because they are very good knives for the price and "losing" them was easier to deal with than losing something more expensive.

BTW, get rid of the knife block.

A Forshner or Dexter stamped blade with a Sani one piece handle is all you require and will work as good as anything out there, and be dishwasher safe.

We cut up and grind large sirloin rounds of beef for my dog who gets an all raw diet. I recently purchased a 12" butcher Dexter stamped blade with white

Sani handle to reduce the wrist strain. Works very well.-Dick