• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can Pineapple juice be used in cake batter?

greenbean

My sister wants to make Pina Colada flavored cupcakes. I have a great coconut cake recipe which calls for 1/4 cup of water and she wants to try substituting pineapple juice. I told her I wasn't sure because of the bromelain enzyme which destroys proteins and might cause some issue with the eggs. The recipe calls for 1 whole egg and 5 whites, so there is a significant amount of protein on the line. The enzyme does break down when cooked, so would heating the juice up be the answer? Or, is the amount small enough not to interfere with the protein structure of the eggs? Or, is canned juice already heated/pasteurized, making the enzyme issue irrelevant?

ha, think about the problem though, even if the breaking down of proteins in specifically eggs (wheat protein as well right?) was possible, you are still baking it, not setting a gel. All the bromelain does is make it difficult for protein to retain water in a gel, without a doubt that will not be a problem baking a cake. Remember, the starch in the flour absorbs most of the water while mixing and baking, the enzyme will get broken down during baking just like the proteins will be denatured and "set" themselves. During that process the starch will slightly gelatinize to help hold the shape of the cake as well, really not a problem.

To add, I would use pineapple puree, you can add more puree than juice.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

I think fresh juice would be a problem, but as Chocolot said, using canned juice should not be a problem.

I have baked with *fresh* pineapple without a problem.

However, the pineapple flavor is far less pronounced than when one uses canned pineapple!