• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need 65th bday dinner suggestions

Phish Food

My father turns 65 at the end of November and my mother and I am trying to figure out where to go for dinner. There will be 6 of us and basically anything goes. The only two places that are out of the budget are Per Se and Masa. Some of the places I have been considering are Daniel, Del Posto, Eleven Madison Park, and Momofuko Ko. I really need help deciding where to go and am open to suggestions. Please feel free to name places and if possible explain why. Thanks

I recently had dinner at EMP and really loved it. It was just before the menu change, but the whole meal was just fantastic, from the food to the service to the setting. The room is exquisite and, I think, quintessentially New York and made for a special night out. For more info I suggest you read the thread on EMP.

Daniel is way too stuffy for my comfort level. His short ribs are divine, but I have little tolerance for formal French dining these days. The recent Del Posto review surprised me considerably. DP has not been on my radar ever, really, but the review made me curious.

I continue to absolutely love Gramercy Tavern. I find the space much more comfortable, warm and inviting than EMP.

In June I had a delightful meal at Blue Hill at Stone Barns, if you are willing to travel out of the city. The whole place is exciting, especially if you care at all about farming and where your food comes from, and I'd recommending spending some time on the grounds prior to dining. There's a whole thread with quite a bit of info on BHSB as well.

I absolutely hate 11 Madison Park. I find the room very cold. I can't speak to the food as I haven't been there in years but was severely underwhelmed the two times I have been there.

I have however had a wonderful meal at Jean Georges. I would suggest you put that on your list if you haven't been there yet.

I highly recommend Eleven Madison Park. I had dinner at the restaurant two weeks ago (after tha change in menu format), and I have to be honest, EMP has never been better! The food while always excellent is now at even a more creative level. Service is a perfect balance between professionalism and warmth. The room is lovely and dramatic (double height ceiling). I'm taking my sister to EMP next week to celebrate her 50th birthday (she's going to be mad at me that I told, but I want to give you the impression that EMP is not a stodgy restaurant, but rather it's a restaurant at the top of its game).