• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

donk79

donk79

1 hour ago, curls said:

Link to the cut sheet http://www.fauquiersfinest.com/ckfinder/userfiles/files/ff_beef_master_09_29.pdf

How would you get your cow processed?

Okay, now we are talking! I am also wondering if the absurd amount of ground that I saw when we took steers to butcher was my parent's preference, instead of just what was available.  We have used Fauquier's Finest for years.  In fact, I really am not certain if there are other options in the area.

So, once again, I would say avoid ground.  You will want some, but it piles up quickly, and I have never been impressed by the ground we got from FF.  I have a few pounds in the freezer, but I have never been excited by anything I made from it other than chili.

Front Quarter

I personally would get the brisket cut in half.  You could save a few pennies by cutting it in half yourself, but you will be receiving it frozen, so…

Rib plate-  once again, I would leave the cuts as intact as possible, unless you know that you will want them cut shorter-  For me, whole plate.

Shank- I am torn here.  I have cooked up the "soup bones" as a braise numerous times with wonderful results.  But i still would probably go with the thicker "osso bucco" cut.

Rib- Bone in steaks for me.  A whole rib roast is more than I ever have occasion to prepare.  If I want an eye for some reason, then I can cut that out and save or cook the rest separately.  In fact, that is exactly what I did the last time I fixed these, a few months ago.  I had a package of two that was too big to fit in my pan.  So I removed the eyes and fixed them for my wife and daughter.  Then I cooked the (chewier, tastier) rest for myself.  Bones were cut off and refrozen for making stock later.  (NB.  From our animals, these have been cut thinner than I would prefer.  Specify thicker cuts, if you can.)

Steak/Roast – Bone in Chuck Roast for me

B/L Chuck Steak – Check 4 of 4 options seems to be what the sheet says… Follow the instructions I guess. I am less certain in this section.

Hind Quarter

Flank – leave whole

Short loin – this is one area where the Bone in does not do it for me. Maybe if ( once again) you can get the steaks cut thicker than my parents have. My experience is that on 1” or under cuts, it is difficult to get an even cook on these steaks with the bone in. So, for me, Filet and NY Strip

The rest of the hind quarter I do not have strong opinions on. Others can probably say more than me.

Organs- As you like. I would not pass up the tongue, myself. Give it the corned beef treatment and it is amazing!

donk79

donk79

1 hour ago, curls said:

Link to the cut sheet http://www.fauquiersfinest.com/ckfinder/userfiles/files/ff_beef_master_09_29.pdf

How would you get your cow processed?

Okay, now we are talking! I am also wondering if the absurd amount of ground that I saw when we took steers to butcher was my parent's preference, instead of just what was available.  We have used Fauquier's Finest for years.  In fact, I really am not certain if there are other options in the area.

So, once again, I would say avoid ground.  You will want some, but it piles up quickly, and I have never been impressed by the ground we got from FF.  I have a few pounds in the freezer, but I have never been exited by anything I made from it other than chili.

Front Quarter

I personally would get the brisket cut in half.  You could save a few pennies by cutting it in half yourself, but you will be receiving it frozen, so…

Rib plate-  once again, I would leave the cuts as intact as possible, unless you know that you will want them cut shorter-  For me, whole plate.

Shank- I am torn here.  I have cooked up the "soup bones" as a braise numerous times with wonderful results.  But i still would probably go with the thicker "osso bucco" cut.

Rib- Bone in steaks for me.  A whole rib roast is more than I ever have occasion to prepare.  If I want an eye for some reason, then I can cut that out and save or cook the rest separately.  In fact, that is exaclty what I did the last time I fixed these, a few months ago.  I had a package of two that was too big to fit in my pan.  So I removed the eyes and fixed them for my wife and daughter.  Then I cooked the (chewier, tastier) rest for myself.  Bones were cut off and refrozen for making stock later.  (NB.  From our animals, these have been cut thinner than I would prefer.  Specify thicker cuts, if you can.)

Steak/Roast – Bone in Chuck Roast for me

B/L Chuck Steak – Check 4 of 4 options seems to be what the sheet says… Follow the instructions I guess. I am less certain in this section.

Hind Quarter

Flank – leave whole

Short loin – this is one area where the Bone in does not do it for me. Maybe if ( once again) you can get the steaks cut thicker than my parents have. My experience is that on 1” or under cuts, it is difficult to get an even cook on these steaks with the bone in. So, for me, Filet and NY Strip

The rest of the hind quarter I do not have strong opinions on. Others can probably say more than me.

Organs- As you like. I would not pass up the tongue, myself. Give it the corned beef treatment and it is amazing!