• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese cookbooks

Ed, I recently heard about Bruce Cost through Gourmet magazine. I think he's also based in NYC. Could you elaborate on his Chinese food background?

A good friend recently recommended books by Florence Lin, in particular her noodle book(very hard to find nowadays). She's also from NYC. Don't know anything more about her.

I'll try to find the Irene Kuo book you recommended here.

---------------------

Steve

Edited by SteveW (log)

Ed, I recently heard about Bruce Cost through Gourmet magazine. I think he's also based in NYC. Could you elaborate on his Chinese food background?

A good friend recently recommended books by Florence Lin, in particular her noodle book(very hard to find nowadays). She's also from NYC. Don't know anything more about her.

---------------------

Steve

Bruce Cost wrote a column on Asian ingredients for the San Francisco Chronicle food section for quite a while back in the 80s and earlier 90s -- many of the recipes appeared in his Bruce Cost's Asian Ingredients (1988, reprint 2000); both editions are very helpful in identifying ingredients; Cantonese names are given for Chinese ingredients. I used to eat in his restaurant Monsoon in San Francisco -- the food was very fresh, with more western-type desserts that were great.

What is your book going to cover?

The idea behind the book I'm writing is that the table of contents will primarily be the lengthy menu from your local Chinese take-out establishment. It will give precise and accessible instructions on how your favorite items can be made at home. It will have the 'A' version of these recipes. There will also be a section on my own personal cooking which has a classical yet modern and evolved point of view

What a stupendously perfect format for a Chinese cookbook. Seems almost too good to be true. Can't wait!

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

What is your book going to cover?

The idea behind the book I'm writing is that the table of contents will primarily be the lengthy menu from your local Chinese take-out establishment. It will give precise and accessible instructions on how your favorite items can be made at home. It will have the 'A' version of these recipes. There will also be a section on my own personal cooking which has a classical yet modern and evolved point of view

What a stupendously perfect format for a Chinese cookbook. Seems almost too good to be true. Can't wait!

Thanks. I can't wait too!

Ed