• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Cookies

Elizabeth_11

So far I've made peppermint chocolate crinkle cookies (from Vanilla Garlic blog), cranberry and white chocolate biscotti (from Gourmet). I've got a batch of peppery bourbon gingersnap dough chilling in the fridge (recipe from Food52). I'll try to post pics of those when I finally make them-- so pretty once the glaze is on. Also plan to make some "nut gems"-- a family recipe sort of like shortbread, sort of like wedding cookies. My favorite. Considering more biscotti, and the advisability of making soft ginger snaps but with garam masala spice.

I'm intrigued by the peppery bourbon gingersnap cookies. I'd love to see a photo!

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

I have recently been confronted with the fact that I can't make cookies worth their flour. I feel like a goon.

I'd bet you just haven't tried a reliable recipe. Most cookies really do seem impossible to screw up; once, to my horror, I realized I forgot the baking soda called for by a recipe for spice cookies (I had this revelation as I was forming them), and they were still okay. Maybe not ideal for people with poorly attached teeth, but still tasty.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I got a cookie assortment in the mail from my daughter yesterday: Shortbread, Chocolate Mint, Gingersnaps, Sugar Cookies and Caramel Bars. My favorite of hers is Thumbprint Cookies with strawberry jelly, but they don't travel well.

She will get from me: Mock Strudel (Cream Cheese Pastry with various jams), Praline Bars, 4 layer Lime-Shortbread Bars, Chocolate Crinkles and one other as yet unchosen. I'm leaning towards a Brown Butter and Brown Sugar Drop Cookie.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I got a cookie assortment in the mail from my daughter yesterday: Shortbread, Chocolate Mint, Gingersnaps, Sugar Cookies and Caramel Bars. My favorite of hers is Thumbprint Cookies with strawberry jelly, but they don't travel well.

She will get from me: Mock Strudel (Cream Cheese Pastry with various jams), Praline Bars, 4 layer Lime-Shortbread Bars, Chocolate Crinkles and one other as yet unchosen. I'm leaning towards a Brown Butter and Brown Sugar Drop Cookie.

Boy, that "Brown Butter and Brown Sugar Drop Cookie" sounds great. Certainly two of my personal favorite flavors.

Any chance for the recipe?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

A while ago, in a thread on pomegranate molasses, someone posted a link for these cookies. (I cut and pasted it below, I hope it still comes up as a link. If not, try the one below it.) They are the best new cookies I've made in a very long time. The only thing I would change next time is that I'd increase the amount of fennel, but that's just personal taste. These are really excellent. I roll them to 1/16" and follow her suggestion to reduce the oven temp to 250F after baking, return the cookies to the oven, then turn the oven off. Leave them in the oven until it has completely cooled. It crisps the cookies beautifully without burning them. They're sort of a cross between a cookie and a cracker. I use Cortas brand pomegranate molasses.

Fennel sesame cookies

http://debunix.net/r...ameCookies.html

Boy, that "Brown Butter and Brown Sugar Drop Cookie" sounds great. Certainly two of my personal favorite flavors.

Here's one: http://www.remodelaholic.com/2012/12/brown-butter-cookies-recipe/

I found a couple of recipes and haven't decided which one to use yet. Will repost after baking1

I was not going to bake this year but an email kicked my butt into action. I am going super simple with just Pumpkin Bread (spiced additionally with fresh ginger juice for first time), Linzer Torte in a bar form, and baklava. They all need to be baked tomorrow after I shop for ingredients - will post pictures.

Finally, here's the pic of the peppery gingerbread, since emmalish expressed an interest. Not a great picture (goofy background, but it was better than the brown table), but you get the idea. I used the Williams-Sonoma cutters that press a design into the dough.

The garam masala gingersnaps with white chocolate cream cheese icing were not as pretty, but delicious enough that they were devoured and will be going into a second production run today or tomorrow. Also did some peppermint mocha shortbreads.

cookies.JPG

Here's one: http://www.remodelah...cookies-recipe/

I found a couple of recipes and haven't decided which one to use yet. Will repost after baking1

Pretty much made this recipe, with 1 egg plus 1 yolk. Formed in balls, rolled in granulated sugar, pressed down with bottom of glass.

Made 26 cookies. Easy, but I was not impressed, will not make again.

way behind this year and have made only pistachio brown sugar biscotti, hazelnut poppyseed, and cherry-pistachio icebox cookies (can't have too many pistachios). Must find a way to make my favorite shortbread cookie with caraway and currants. And maybe some pecan-crusted thumbprints with apricot jam. Not a huge fan of chocolate cookies. Well, except for Maida Heatter's Craters.

Curls, the peppery gingerbread is excellent. Wonderful flavor, they cut out nicely and keep well. But yes, the garam masala ones were the favorites in the end. Such a nice chew, and the spice complemented the frosting so well. Not as pretty, but addictive.

Here's the recipe for those-- I just subbed 1 Tbs garam masala for the spices :

http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/soft-gingersnaps-with-white-chocolate-cream-cheese-frosting/

This year's cookies...

cookies_zps0b76acb3.jpg

Mostly kept it simple. Orange walnut biscotti, bacon gingersnaps with maple glaze (thanks Kerry, they were a hit with pretty much everybody that tried them), lemon poppy seed with lemon glaze, peanut butter, brown butter chocolate chip (dark and white chips by request), vanilla bean (basically a soft, chewy sugar cookie with a couple vanilla beans scraped in the dough and rolled in vanilla sugar before baking), hot chocolate (soft, chewy chocolate cookie with cayenne in the dough, rolled in cinnamon sugar before baking), toasted oatmeal cashew and Mr. Hankey gingerbreads.

[Moderator note: This topic is rapidly approaching a size that our servers won't handle it efficiently, so we've locked it. There's a fresh discussion of holiday cookies, here: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/146110-christmas-cookies-redux/]

Edited by Mjx
Moderator note added. (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.