• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Cookies

Elizabeth_11

This year I made extensive use of the Martha Stewart Cookies book as well as the vegan cookies recipes in Dreena Burton's cookbooks. Vegan baking is a new thing for me this year.

3131129701_912689b846.jpg

From left to right:

1. Vegan Coconut Lime Cookie, 2. Vegan Peanut Butter Cookie, 3. Vegan Chocolate Spice Cookie, 4. Vegan Walnut Brownie, 5. Vegan Pear Ginger Pistachio Blondie, 6. Vegan Chocolate Almond Cherry Cookie, 7. Vegan Maple Walnut Cookie, 8. Vegan Homestyle Chocolate Chips Cookies, 9. Pistachio Cranberries Icebox Cookies, 10. Hazelnut Chocolate Sable, 11. Orange Fig Pinwheel, 12. Cream Cheese Walnut Cookies, 13. Butterscotch Cashew Blondies, 14. Personalized Gingerbread, 15. Maple Pecan Shortbread, 16. Coconut Macaroons

not pictured: Walnut Chocolate Chips Cookies, White Chocolate Chips Fudge Cookies, Pecan Brownies, Espresso Biscuits

Full description for the regular cookies assortment available here: http://wscwong.typepad.com/dessert_by_cand...s-are-here.html

Full description for the vegan cookies assortment available here: http://wscwong.typepad.com/dessert_by_cand...ay-cookies.html

For packaging ideas:

3125674556_9f80b9ea46.jpg

3113969176_ca51bc8e3f.jpg

And that wraps up another year of crazy holiday baking...

Candy Wong

"With a name like Candy, I think I'm destined to make dessert."

Want to know more? Read all about me in my blog.

Beautiful Candy! Where do you get your boxes?

Thank you! The boxes were all purchased at Solutions (http://www.solutions-stores.ca/). The plain brown cardboard boxes were enhanced with ribbons and an overlay of trimmed gift wrap. The photobox has an empty window on top for customizing. I used two complimentary cardstock and a sticker with my monogram. Notice that all the cookies were individually packaged in cellophane bag. This is for the practical reason of eliminating grease marks and allowing crisp and soft cookies to be packed in the same container.

Candy Wong

"With a name like Candy, I think I'm destined to make dessert."

Want to know more? Read all about me in my blog.

They suggest using a "reverse" mixing method. Whisk dry ingredients together. Add butter in 1/2" chunks, one at a time, beating with an electric mixer on medium-low. When all the butter is added continue beating for a minute or two until it looks crumbly and slightly wet. Add flavour and any liquids or cream cheese. Continue to beat for about 1/2 a minute, just till it begins to form large chunks. Remove from bowl and knead till it forms a cohesive mass. Wrap and chill.

Another method they use and I also have a recipe by Flo Braker is with a food processor. Pulse dry ingredients to combine. Add butter and pulse till like cornmeal. Add any liquid while processor is running. This could be as small as 1 egg yolk and vanilla. Process till it starts to form large chunks and again knead a couple turns till it forms a cohesive mass. With this method you can roll it out between parchment right away and then chill.

Might be worth a try with a recipe you love.

I made the Lime Meltaways over Christmas vacation using fresh limes from a neighbor's tree. They had a great flavor and now I'm anxous to try a lemon version to replicate Sunshine brand Lemon Coolers cookies (which are no longer made), though I may wait until summer to try it out.

The one issue I had with the Lime Meltaway cookie is that they're supposed to be 1/8 inch slices of the refrigerated dough logs which can make for quite a fragile cookie when handling them to coat in the powdered sugar. I ended up breaking quite a few cookies until I was able to find the right touch for the coating process.

Instead of slicing them, do you think they could translate into a ball cookie? Either by hand-rolling or perhaps a small cookie scoop?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 10 months later...

Would you please consider submitting a cookie recipe (or possibly this one) to my Holiday Cookie Extravaganza? http://trunc.it/3g862

Thanks!

I thought it would be cool to get recipes from all over the world with vegan recipes, gluten-free recipes and just fantastic ideas. If anyone reads this and would like to participate, please do!

Jennifer A. Wickes

Food Writer, Recipe Developer

http://jenniferwickes.blogspot.com

Just spotted this thread. My favorite Christmas cookies are my pfefferneuse, a recipe I created back in 1991. Spicy, nutty, and subtly fruity without the citron that I really just don't care for.

After that, the next best are basic gingerbread, preferably as a house:

333514082_8e59d373d0.jpg

Lots of other cookies can be mixed and matched with these, but molasses and cinnamon and ginger in one form or another is key to making it feel like the holidays.

• 2 weeks later...

This probably belongs in the publications forum, but I came across this article with links to a whole mess of newspapers that have cookie contests as the holidays approach.

They include a list for the Star Tribune (Minneapolis) and I have made the Persian Molasses Crinkles, which were outstanding.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

• 3 years later...

Looks good. So far I've only made some rum balls. Went to a cookie walk yesterday with the intention that buying one or two of each of my favorite types would satisfy my cravings, save me a lot of work making batches of cookies, and save me tons of calories too, but I think it backfired! Now I'm hungry for more! Thinking of doing some shortbread, pralines and world peace cookies.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

My mother, sister, and I will do cookies the Saturday before Christmas. Pecan Puffs, chocolate chip, and oatmeal raisin are definites, and we're debating what else to do. Now, if only I can get my mother to buy butter instead of margarine.....

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

So far I've made peppermint chocolate crinkle cookies (from Vanilla Garlic blog), cranberry and white chocolate biscotti (from Gourmet). I've got a batch of peppery bourbon gingersnap dough chilling in the fridge (recipe from Food52). I'll try to post pics of those when I finally make them-- so pretty once the glaze is on. Also plan to make some "nut gems"-- a family recipe sort of like shortbread, sort of like wedding cookies. My favorite. Considering more biscotti, and the advisability of making soft ginger snaps but with garam masala spice.

I've got high-molasses gingersnaps chilling, and there will also be maple-walnut shortbread, cup-o-everythings, classic oatmeal chocolate chip, mocha crispies, brandy snaps, chocolate-chip sugars, and probably some jammy dodgers using Mortiño compotes I put up earlier this year, if I've got time.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I've got high-molasses gingersnaps chilling, and there will also be maple-walnut shortbread, cup-o-everythings, classic oatmeal chocolate chip, mocha crispies, brandy snaps, chocolate-chip sugars, and probably some jammy dodgers using Mortiño compotes I put up earlier this year, if I've got time.

I'm intrigued -what are cup-o-everything's?

Cup-o-everything cookies are exactly what they sound like. I cup of each of the following: sweet butter, panela (or brown sugar, at least demerrera), flour, peanut butter, chocolate chips, coconut, and oats. One egg, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tbsp milk, 1 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp baking soda. Cream the butter, peanut butter, and sugar together, beat in the egg and vanilla, then beat in the leavens, flour and oats, and fold in the chocolate chips and coconut. Drop by spoonfuls, and then either smush down with a fork or else use a half walnut to smush the cookie. 350 F for 8 minutes at my altitude.

They're glorious.

Edited because I'm scatterbrained and forgot the things that aren't one cup, ie the egg. :blush:

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

use a half walnut to smush the cookie. 350 F for 8 minutes at my altitude.

Is that a technical chef-y term? :wink:

They DO sound good.

It's my gooder unimaversity English. And yes, smush is a technical term for bakers!

This time of year I definitely overdo the cookies.

Yesterday I made dough for molasses spice (with lots of chopped candied ginger) and a butter almond cookie that is simple but insanely good. I just took the last pan from the oven, they're cooling now. Both freeze well and the butter-almond stars will be dipped in chocolate before serving.

The only other regular in my Christmas cookie rotation is a chocolate cherry cookie, something like a brownie batter w/ dried cherries (soaked in rum), formed in balls and rolled in confectionary sugar. When baked they get fudgy and cracked, with the sugar giving the cookies a nice white glaze. They need to be baked the same day as serving, but the batter is quick to assemble and can be made the day before.

I'm always looking for something new, so I'm very interested in what others are making here.

I've already made Santa's whiskers, which are a pecan, coconut and candied cherry shortbread slice and bake cookie. They won't last until Christmas, but they're a family tradition. I'm planning on making rum balls, mint chip brownies, and World Peace cookies this weekend. Most of them will go to the preschool my daughter attends, I don't want them hanging around the house where I'll eat them all myself!

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Just wanted everyone to know that I tried Jaymes' recipe for Fruit Cake cookies - look on the first page of this discussion thread - and they are wonderful! I'll definitely be adding them to my list each year from now on. Thanks for sharing, Jaymes!

Look at me...I'm beaming!!! :biggrin:

I agree, they are good. Even folks that don't like fruitcake like these. They're sorta the same, but different. Completely different texture....because of course they're cookies, not cake.

Thanks for letting me know.

:rolleyes:

Edited to add: I've been to a LOT of cookie exchanges throughout the years, and this is one of my favorite recipes to take. In addition to being delicious, they're very festive and pretty and 'Christmasy' and I've yet to have anyone else show up with the same thing.

Just finished this year's batch of these fruitcake cookies, and butterscotch cookies. Bourbon balls just about aged enough. Wonderful time of year!

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

If you're looking for Cookie Inspiration and want more even after reading back over the pages of this absolutely wonderful thread, you might check out Cookie Madness, a terrific website devoted to all things cookie. It's by Anna, who is a previous Pillsbury Cook-off winner. She posts here as Claire797 (although I haven't seen her around for a while).

She's fun, knowledgeable and approachable. I highly recommend her website to anyone interested in making the very best cookies possible.

http://www.cookiemadness.net/

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.