• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Cookies

Elizabeth_11

Quick question, as I've got a long and ever-growing list of cookies I want to do this year.

I'm recovering from knee surgery and still not walking on my own. My mom has offered kitchen and assistance to get things done, but we have just the weekends. Are there any cookies that can be baked and will freeze well for a week or 2? Doughs instead and a few crazy days with the oven?

I'd really rather get the cookies done this weekend and the truffles, etc done next if that's an option.

Aza,

I just made these and froze half the recipe. I actually made the dough on the weekend, popped it in the freezer for a couple of days and then baked them off the other night. They are delicious and so easy to make:

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/espres...ox&rsc=header_1

Quick question, as I've got a long and ever-growing list of cookies I want to do this year.

I'm recovering from knee surgery and still not walking on my own. My mom has offered kitchen and assistance to get things done, but we have just the weekends. Are there any cookies that can be baked and will freeze well for a week or 2? Doughs instead and a few crazy days with the oven?

I'd really rather get the cookies done this weekend and the truffles, etc done next if that's an option.

I made a 1/2 batch of the rum meltaways to test them out and didn't like them.  Too much nutmeg I think.

Marmish,

Yes, they didn't make my list of "to-make-again"...I'm going to try the Rum Raisin Shortbread this weekend from her Cookie book. Looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

when i make cookie cutter cookies, they often blister in the oven.  anyone know the reason for that?  it doesn't seem to matter what kind of dough...

If you have America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook it explains it. I can't remember the reason off hand but I believe it has to do with the method of combining ingredients. I'll try to look it up in the next day or two.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Just to clarify, you would prefer to bake and freeze, not freeze the dough and bake later?

Pretty much any high-butter content cookie freezes well after baking. Shortbread is excellent even after being frozen for a few weeks (or a month or two), for example. Snowballs, or those Mexican wedding cookies are good, but if you roll anything in icing sugar, do it after they've defrosted.

I try not to freeze any kind of caramel-y cookie (like florentines) because they can get a bit sticky when defrosted.

If you want to freeze doughs, Korova Cookies are so easy to make and bake from frozen. I've got some oatmeal cherry cookie dough balls in the freezer right now--I made them several weeks ago, and have been baking them off when I've got a craving. They're still good, too.

Truffles usually last a few weeks frozen (at least mine do, but I don't dip in chocolate), so you could do those now and cookies later if you prefer.

when i make cookie cutter cookies, they often blister in the oven.  anyone know the reason for that?  it doesn't seem to matter what kind of dough...

If you have America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook it explains it. I can't remember the reason off hand but I believe it has to do with the method of combining ingredients. I'll try to look it up in the next day or two.

I would really appreciate more information about this.

Fern

I would really appreciate more information about this.

Fern

They suggest using a "reverse" mixing method. Whisk dry ingredients together. Add butter in 1/2" chunks, one at a time, beating with an electric mixer on medium-low. When all the butter is added continue beating for a minute or two until it looks crumbly and slightly wet. Add flavour and any liquids or cream cheese. Continue to beat for about 1/2 a minute, just till it begins to form large chunks. Remove from bowl and knead till it forms a cohesive mass. Wrap and chill.

Another method they use and I also have a recipe by Flo Braker is with a food processor. Pulse dry ingredients to combine. Add butter and pulse till like cornmeal. Add any liquid while processor is running. This could be as small as 1 egg yolk and vanilla. Process till it starts to form large chunks and again knead a couple turns till it forms a cohesive mass. With this method you can roll it out between parchment right away and then chill.

Might be worth a try with a recipe you love.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Just to clarify, you would prefer to bake and freeze, not freeze the dough and bake later?

Pretty much any high-butter content cookie freezes well after baking.  Shortbread is excellent even after being frozen for a few weeks (or a month or two), for example.  Snowballs, or those Mexican wedding cookies are good, but if you roll anything in icing sugar, do it after they've defrosted.

I try not to freeze any kind of caramel-y cookie (like florentines) because they can get a bit sticky when defrosted. 

If you want to freeze doughs, Korova Cookies are so easy to make and bake from frozen.  I've got some oatmeal cherry cookie dough balls in the freezer right now--I made them several weeks ago, and have been baking them off when I've got a craving.  They're still good, too.

Truffles usually last a few weeks frozen (at least mine do, but I don't dip in chocolate), so you could do those now and cookies later if you prefer.

I'm open to either, actually. I know I have a pretty limited time to get things done and an even more limited physical capacity. So the more I can spread things out, doing a little bit every day, the better. :biggrin: Sorry it took so long to get back to the thread, I've spent the last 2 days ingredient gathering. :shock: (It was a 30 min round trip from Macy's to GameStop and back on a side trip, if that gives any indication of my speed at the moment. :blink: ) I appreciate the help! That gives me a few more cookies to get done yet this weekend, and maybe some truffles.

sugar plum, thank you for the recipe, those look great! I look forward to getting those put together tomorrow as well. :smile:

Next up from this cookbook is her Rum Raisin Shortbread.

I'm interested to see what you think of this. I made a half recipe as a test batch yesterday and did not like them. Too much of a raw rum taste for me. Plus they spread quite a bit - not sure if I messed up the proportions in halving the recipe.

In the plastic bags to the right of the checkerboard cookies are lime snowdrops. I loved those, they made my tastebuds smile.

I love lime cookies. Can you post your recipe for the Lime Snowdrops?

I used Ling's infamous recipe, they're on RecipeGullet. I think she calls them Lime Meltaways, I don't know why I changed the name to snowdrops. When I get home I'll look up my printed out recipe to see if I made any notes or changes. I do remember thinking I wanted them to be a bigger cookie rather than the smallish cookies they were.

I'm curious: Does anyone know whether these cookies are similar to Key Lime Cooler cookies made by the Byrd Cookie Company (in Savannah)? I had a yen to make some earlier this year and yanked a random recipe off the Internet. They were so far from edible that I didn't even bother posting to find out what went wrong. If these are close (shortbready, crumbly, limey), I'd be thrilled.

Oh, that's disappointing to hear. I had high hopes for these cookies. I'm baking them off tonight. I made the dough and popped it in the freezer yesterday. I think I may have messed up the recipe. The dough seemed very wet to me and it's probably because I didn't drain the currants enough. Will report back later on tonight.

Next up from this cookbook is her Rum Raisin Shortbread.

I'm interested to see what you think of this. I made a half recipe as a test batch yesterday and did not like them. Too much of a raw rum taste for me. Plus they spread quite a bit - not sure if I messed up the proportions in halving the recipe.

gallery_26025_6346_34142.jpg

Chocolate Sanbuca Crinkle Cookie

From December 1999 Gourmet Christmas cookie collection. Kind of like brownie with Sambuca flavor. Not a kiddie cookie.  Very, very good.

They look great. I saw this recipe on their website and they're on my "to do" list. Do you think they can be frozen?

Oh, that's disappointing to hear. I had high hopes for these cookies. I'm baking them off tonight. I made the dough and popped it in the freezer yesterday. I think I may have messed up the recipe. The dough seemed very wet to me and it's probably because I didn't drain the currants enough. Will report back later on tonight.

I found my dough to be very wet also, which is what led me to think I made a mistake with the recipe, either not enough flour or my butter was too warm.

Ok, Martha Stewart and I are not on speaking terms right now. I tried the chocolate pistachio cookies yesterday. The cookie dough is unpipeable. The filling is waaaay too much for a yield of 15 cookies and too loose, although it tastes yummy. The cookies once baked don't have a nice texture either. Anyone else make these? http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/chocol...stachio-cookies

In the plastic bags to the right of the checkerboard cookies are lime snowdrops. I loved those, they made my tastebuds smile.

I love lime cookies. Can you post your recipe for the Lime Snowdrops?

Late to the party, but if you like lime cookies, try these: Lime Cilantro Cookies. Very good, they keep and ship very nicely, as well.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Ha! That's exactly how I felt about Martha and her gingersnap palmiers! What a waste of money and time. I don't go anywhere near cookies that involve piping. Bad experience with spritz cookies years ago. Did you use the dip and sweep method to measure the flour? Maybe the dough was too stiff because there was too much flour?

Ok, Martha Stewart and I are not on speaking terms right now.  I tried the chocolate pistachio cookies yesterday.  The cookie dough is unpipeable.  The filling is waaaay too much for a yield of 15 cookies and too loose, although it tastes yummy.  The cookies once baked don't have a nice texture either.  Anyone else make these?  http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/chocol...stachio-cookies

Rickster,

My cookies turned out so-so. They don't have the boozy taste to them (as you reported) but they also don't have the shortbread-y texture that I would have liked. They didn't spread too much but didn't keep the lovely shape that's shown in the book. My theory is that I didn't drain the currants enough. The dough was very wet for a cookie dough. I actually like them and will probably give them another try next year.

I found my dough to be very wet also, which is what led me to think I made a mistake with the recipe, either not enough flour or my butter was too warm.

For Christmas this year, I decided to make cookie packages based on the theme of nostalgia. I baked all the items below and packaged them into gift boxes (cookies stacked in liners, separately packed) or food-safe flat bottom gift bags. Some of the recipes for the items below can be found at their respective links.

3115291218_01949eea3c_d.jpg

Old-Fashioned Christmas Butter Cookies from Gourmet's website.

3115292952_bf30cf9877_d.jpg

Brown Sugar Ginger Crisps from Gourmet's website.

3114465447_dc7d21679d_d.jpg

Swedish Ginger Thins from Gourmet's website.

3120182111_ef27d73a8b_d.jpg

Spritz Cookies.

3120763493_ed49f70dce_d.jpg

Martha Stewart's Chewy Molasses-Spice Cookies.

3121398761_80cea70930_d.jpg

Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies from Pichet Ong's The Sweet Spot.

3122226796_f4f3e931a0_d.jpg

Brandy Balls based on Gourmet's Bourbon Balls.

3123591952_0374c201f7_d.jpg

Palets de Dames based on the recipe from Gourmet's website.

3123594462_038d38d467_d.jpg

And the non-cookie: Maple Sugar Cashew Chocolate Cupcakes.

Christmas packages from previous years can be found in the following links: 2007, 2006, 2005

I haven't made Christmas cookies since forever, but last week my next-door neighbor/landlady/friend brought me some Viennese Crescents. I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

So now I have made them twice and to add a further decadent touch, decorated them liberally with 63% chocolate swirls, stripey things and such.

I feel like the cat who ate the canary. :laugh::laugh::laugh: This new life of baking and make confections is sure a lot more fun than my former research career. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Ha!  That's exactly how I felt about Martha and her gingersnap palmiers!  What a waste of money and time. 

Sugar Plum,

I tried Martha's gingersnap palmiers this year too. I made a homemade puff which expanded beautifully but all the palmiers unfurled in the oven so they came out looking like giant 'C's rather than elephant ears. They tasted great but looked nothing like the picture in her book.

Ed