• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Cookies

Elizabeth_11

I found this interesting blog that has an international cookie swap. cookie swap recipes 

Some really interesting cookies to be found on here if anyone wants to find something new or different to make this year

Folk: SEE PART II OF THE COOKIE SWAP ON IL FORNO!!!

I am sorry I don't have the capacity to post pictures to make you gawk here, but look for a chocolate-dipped pistachio & cardamom cookie. TO DIE FOR!!! My cardamom is brand-new and the smell of the cooling cookies is delicious. They're also beautiful and fragrant with chopped dried cranberries (with a bit of toasted walnut bits, grated orange peel and a dab of Cointreau).

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I just made a batch of the Swedish Ginger Cookies from the New York times Magazine of Dec 5th Holiday issue. All I can say is WOW. I was very skeptical considering the recipe called for 3/4 cup bacon drippings. I would post a link but it is one of the NYT paid pages. So if you want the recipe for the bacon drippings gingersnap recipe, just pm me.

They were spicy without being too spicy. THE recipe had too much salt, I cut it back to 1/2 tsp. And next time, I will sub some good brown sugar for part of the granulated sugar, maybe half and half, to try to help deepen the molasses flavor.

A nice Christmasy smell when they are baking and the flavors are great for this time of year.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

PS  Could someone explain what these feet you bakers discuss are?

"Feet" are the little ruffly-looking bottom edges of macarons that form when the macarons rise in the oven. You see a bunch of examples on the macaron thread.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I just made up the dough for Korova cookies. Can someone please remind me that I really, honestly, should bake them rather than eating the whole batch raw?

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

MOTTMOTT - Here is a recipe for a coconut macaroon that doesn't contain any canned stuff. It makes macaroons like what you described. A nice outer crust with a soft, gooey, chewy center and a great coconut flavor. I don't like the coconut macaroons made with sweetened condensed milk, either. Let me know if you like it. They are also extremely delicious if the bottoms are dipped in tempered chocolate. (This recipe is from my cookbook, Chewy Cookies).

COCONUT MACAROONS Makes 36 cookies

Delightfully chewy and moist with a crunchy surface, my version is different from commercially made macaroons, because I use flaked coconut instead of the ground stuff used in most commercial bakeries. That explains why they were such a popular item at my bakery. The coconut flavor is big, with just the right amount of sweetness.

3 large egg whites, at room temperature

3/4 cup granulated sugar

2-1/4 cups sweetened, flaked coconut, firmly packed into the measuring cup

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 325° F (310° F if you’re using a convection oven) and move the oven racks so they divide the oven into thirds. Line two or more baking sheets with parchment.

On medium speed of an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until they are thick and opaque. This will take about 2 minutes. With the mixer running, slowly add the sugar, and continue beating for 1 minute after it has all been added. Blend in the coconut on low speed just until it’s incorporated into the egg white mixture. Sprinkle the flour over the dough and beat on low speed for 20 seconds. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, then give it a few stirs to be sure it is completely mixed.

Using a 1-inch scoop or a two-teaspoon measure, drop the cookies onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake them in the preheated oven, rotating the pans halfway through the baking time, for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and firm. Don’t over bake them or they’ll be dry. Remove the baking sheets from the oven and place them on wire cooling racks. When the cookies are cool, store them in an airtight container with wax paper between the layers.

Eileen

edited by Eileen for a typo

Edited by etalanian (log)

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

I need to pick your brains.... please?

As some of you know, I am NOT great in the kitchen.

I have typed below, a very basic cookie recipe someone gave me. It is my only cookie recipe (besides what I've seen on this thread). Can someone please gussy-up this recipe for me? If you can make it better, PLEASE tell me what to do, and how your changes will affect my recipe.

My recipe:

1 stick butter

1/4 cup sugar

(cream together)

1 yolk

(cream again)

1 cup flour

(mix together)

chill one hour. form into balls, put on lightly greased baking sheets and bake for 12 minutes at 365 (365?? eeek!).

This basic recipe makes very few cookies and I must quadruple the recipe to get about 35 cookies.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

May you all have happy holidays and a healthy and prosperous New Year!

Thanks, again, for everyone's help and your patience with me in the past (and future :smile: )

Edited by DonnaMarieNJ (log)

Happy Holidays everyone!!!

Here are a couple pics from a cookie klatch I had at my house :cool:

cookie%20bake%204.jpg

cookie%20bake%2045.jpg

On the tray:

Orange Honey Thumbprints (with Cranberry)

Linzer Cookies

Gingerbread

Almond Ravioli

Congo Bars

Essence of Chocolate Squares

Loaded Oatmeal Cookies (hub's fave :wub: )

Coconut Lime Sours

Off tray:

Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles

Spicy Nuts

Brown Butter Cardamom Cookies

Stilton Tart with Cranberry Chutney

Bacon, Onion and Gruyere Tart

Edited by JeAnneS (log)

Xander: How exactly do you make cereal?

Buffy: Ah. You put the box near the milk. I saw it on the Food Channel.

-BtVS

I tried Ling's lime meltaways that she posted in recipe gullet. I think they may be my new favourite cookie. The lime flavour is intense and they do have a lovely, melt in your mouth texture. I, like many of you, am a notorious cookie batter taster and I wasn't impressed with the batter - it just wasn't sweet enough. I, then, tried one of the cookies straight out of the oven, and again, wasn't impressed. However, once doused in icing sugar, they were the perfect combination of sweet and sour, citrussy. The texture improves with time too. I highly recommend these

I need to pick your brains.... please?

As some of you know, I am NOT great in the kitchen.

I have typed below, a very basic cookie recipe someone gave me.  It is my only cookie recipe (besides what I've seen on this thread).  Can someone please gussy-up this recipe for me?  If you can make it better, PLEASE tell me what to do, and how your changes will affect my recipe.

Instead of trying to improve on this recipe, why don't you try one of the recipes already posted in this thread? :smile: The recipe you've listed is not what I would call a good recipe...and I don't see a point in improving it when (better) cookie recipes are so easy to do anyway.

I didn't realize it was not a good recipe. I thought it was something I was doing wrong. The recipe came from a friend and her cookies come out wonderful. Just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong when she wrote it down verbatim. Of course, it was written on an envelope....

^It's not that it's a bad recipe, but I can't imagine it producing excellent (or very interesting) cookies. The sugar would have to be doubled to 1/2 cup for it to resemble a typical butter cookie recipe. If you're looking for a shortbread texture, you would have to substitute some of the flour for cornstarch to lower the gluten content. I don't usually bake cookies at a temperature higher than 350 degrees.

Cookies are very simple to do...you can start with a simple shortbread cookie and go from there. I made at least 10 batches of shortbread over the holidays...give this a try :smile:

Beat together...

1 cup unsalted butter, softened

1/2 tsp salt

1 tbsp vanilla extract

3/4 cup confectioner's sugar

Add in 1 3/4 cup AP flour, and 1/4 cup cornstarch.

Roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out with a cutter, place on parchment lined baking sheets (or a Silpat). Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven until the edges are just barely browned (or you can take them out when they're still pale, whichever you prefer). They're ready in about 12 minutes.

I coat half the cookie with ganache. Just melt a few ounces of bittersweet chocolate with some cream and a bit of butter. Give it a stir, and then drizzle your cookie with the ganache.

These look pretty enough and are really simple to do!

My favourite of the new recipes I tried this season is Spicy Twin Thins by Flo Braker. They are a crisp butter cookie cut in small stars. They have an amazing flavour which is a combination of ginger, black pepper, cinnamon, allspice and lemon zest. While they are still hot you sprinkle a bit of finely chopped white chocolate on the tops. You sandwich them together and then sprinkle chopped pistachios on top of the melting chocolate on the top cookie. I used little silver balls and opal sparkles to make them more festive. It was really hard not to eat the whole batch... and I'm not a big spice cookie fan.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

• 10 months later...

Now that it's nearing the end of November, I've been hoping for someone else to revive this thread but I can wait no longer!

Inspired by Ling's lime melt aways, I decided to get out my mixing bowls and start baking this weekend. I also whipped up a batch of Martha's carrot cake cookies and her chewy chocolate gingerbread. The latter were VERY well received and I will definately make them again this season.

Also on the "to do" list this year, Ina Garten's jam thumbprints and CI's soft & chewy molasses spice cookies.

Let the baking begin!

gallery_29268_3937_446721.jpg

I used to go all-out with Christmas baking, but it was exhausting and everyone is inundated with baked goods and sweets this time of year, so I've cut it down to just making my gingerbread cookies (I think the recipe is from Gourmet). I'm not sure I'll be making it this year, though, because it involves so much standing (for the rolling out and cutting shapes, etc) and I'm recovering from a broken leg.

The list used to be gingerbread, gingersnaps, two kinds of shortbread, sugar cookies, fudge, spiced pecans, two or three different kinds of truffles, homemade crackers (recipes from Martha), and brittle. Phew!

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

The December 2006 issue of Fine Cooking has an article on bar cookies and I made the Cranberry Streusel Shortbread Bars. They were delicious, very well received at home and work (my boss, who usually doesn't eat any snacks at meetings, ate three and praised them), and very simple to make--if you've got a bag of cranberries, you're set. I like bar cookies for giving, because you can easily cut the pan up into nice little squares. This article also includes Peanut Butter & Chocolate Shortbread Bars and Caramel Turtle Bars. The issue has a special pullout of 12 favorite FC cookie recipes.

We just got our Jan 2007 issue in the mail yesterday, so if you see the December issue on the newsstand, get it quick.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I made Tejon's coconut cranberry chews from this thread for the office last week and they were a huge hit!

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I love Martha's chocolate gingerbread cookies, too - they're always a hit!! Ina Garten's Jam Thumbprints are another winner....I love the toasty coconut and the taste of the cookies is very good.

This year I'm planning to bake chocolate/vanilla shortbread spirals, decorated sugar cookies, the chocolate gingerbread cookies, faworki, spitzbuben, and almond crescents. There will probably be more, but that's my list so far :smile:

These were my favorite Christmas cookies from granny which is saying alot cause there is no chocolate in site.

Lemon Hazelnut Cookies

2 cups butter

2 cups sugar

2 eggs

1 cup ground hazelnuts

4 cups flour

Cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs then nuts. Stir in flour. Roll dough out on floured surface thin but not super thin maybe 1/4-inch and cut into 3-inch circles. Bake 350 10 to 15 minutes till lite golden. Cool and frost.

Frosting

Mix powder sugar and juice of 1 lemon till spreadable

I haven't made these in a couple of years so I don't remember if you chill the dough. Probably with all that butter. It's funny there were 14 of us grandkids and we all loved them. Just doesn't seem like a kid type of cookie go figure.

Ina Garten's Jam Thumbprints are another winner....I love the toasty coconut and the taste of the cookies is very good.

Ditto on Ina Garten's Thumbprints - they're excellent!

Some other good ones: Mocha Truffle Cookies (BHG) and Chocolate Espresso Sandwich Cookies (Judith Sutton).

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Even though it's been a mysterious 60+ degrees here in Chicago for the past week, I, too, am ready to jump back into the seasonal cookie-making mode. So good to see this thread again. I have a small repertoire that I've honed over the years, and only ones truly worthy stay. I think our favorite, though, are the Cuccidati, which are a soft, buttery cookie filled a la Fig Newtons with a mixture of raisins, figs, walnuts, almonds, spices and brandy. I'd be happy to share the recipe if anyone wishes.

Other annual favorites:

A moist, fudgy brownie recipe from Cooking Illustrated

Brown Butter Cookies from last year's NYT (really interesting and really good)

Alfajores (dulce de leche sandwich cookie)

Gianduja sandwich cookies

Candied citrus peel

A superior nut cookie that goes by many names, Mexican Tea Cakes, Russian Tea Cookies, etc., made with a mixture of flour, nuts and constarch, dusted with powedered sugar. I like this recipe because it combines finely ground nuts with coarsely ground for better flavor.

...Perhaps I'll post pix once the baking commences!

Even though it's been a mysterious 60+ degrees here in Chicago for the past week, I, too, am ready to jump back into the seasonal cookie-making mode.  So good to see this thread again.  I have a small repertoire that I've honed over the years, and only ones truly worthy stay.  I think our favorite, though, are the Cuccidati, which are a soft, buttery cookie filled a la Fig Newtons with a mixture of raisins, figs, walnuts, almonds, spices and brandy.  I'd be happy to share the recipe if anyone wishes.

Other annual favorites:

A moist, fudgy brownie recipe from Cooking Illustrated

Brown Butter Cookies from last year's NYT (really interesting and really good)

Alfajores (dulce de leche sandwich cookie)

Gianduja sandwich cookies

Candied citrus peel

A superior nut cookie that goes by many names, Mexican Tea Cakes, Russian Tea Cookies, etc., made with a mixture of flour, nuts and constarch, dusted with powedered sugar.  I like this recipe because it combines finely ground nuts with coarsely ground for better flavor.

...Perhaps I'll post pix once the baking commences!

61 degrees here yesterday & 12 degrees this morning. Time to turn on the oven. I hadn't heard of Cuccidati before, but they sound right up our alley. It would be great to see the recipe.

The things we traditionally make are; Chinese Almond cookies, Brown Sugar Shortbread Stars, Candied Orange Peel, Moravian Spice Cookies, Kourambiedes, Chocolate Peanut Clusters & of course, the decorated-cut into shapes-frosted-vanillaly cookie (being insufficiently caffeinated at the moment, the name escapes me). I used to make Pfefferneuse every year, but somehow lost my favorite recipe & haven't found one quite like it.

Happily my daughter & daughter-in-law now help with the baking. We all usually try to make one or two new things every year. Last year I tried the Coconut Cranberry Chews & they were a big hit. I'll be making them again this year. I'm pretty sure the recipe came from this thread, but I'm having trouble finding it.

I think Michael M's Cuccidati might be my first choice for "new cookie" this year.

pat w.

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance

Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

-- Ogden Nash

http://bluestembooks.com/