• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris Restaurants between €35 - 50

Paul Reynard

I've just started a new role meaning that I'm going to be in Paris every other week for 2 - 3 nights at a time. Don't know Paris too well at the bistro price end so would welcome some advice of where to go on a corporate travellers budget (no more than €50 if poss - altho willing to go higher when worth it). Normally based in Montparnasse so can get to most areas easily enough but obviously closer the better... Like most here I eat any food so advice on Paris's limited non French style food would be welcome as well as the best French bistro/mod european places. If it's got good food and good atmosphere for the solo diner it would be great to know about it! :-)

Cheers.

I can recommend La Ferrandise which is in the 6th, just across from the Luxemburg Gardens on rue Vaugirard. I had a lovely 3 course meal there with a friend a year ago. Like L'épi Dupin, also in the 6th, the meal cost about €35 or something close to that. I've seen lots of solo diners at the latter.. good hearty, bistro food.

• 1 month later...

Frenchie, you'll never get into, ditto for Chateaubriand (thanks, Bourdain) , Rino (thanks NYT), Spring downstairs is a wine bar (upstairs forget it), all the rest , book in advance, 'cept Avant Comptoir which is a very casual crowded wine bar with small bites..

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

If Paul is going to be in Paris with the frequency he suggests, there is no reason he can't book ahead at Frenchie (although I personally find no reason to go back after four decreasingly satisfying visits), Rino or Chateaubriand. If all other means fail, do a walk-by during open hours, stick your head in and book ahead.

Sadly, spontenaety at hip restaurants died a long time ago.

eGullet member #80.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returning, I find all the fuss about Chateaubriand to be, well, misplaced. But hey, maybe that's just me.

Rino we loved. Ditto L'Agrume, a fabulous place in the 5th. And if you're there on a Sunday night, we had a quite nice meal at Cafe des Musees. The dinner menu was around 20 euros.

Oh, and La Régalade Saint-Honoré was super...great, warm and friendly service, and fabulous food to boot. Dinner menu was 33 euros...supplements can push it up, however.

Edited: Added la R.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?