• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anti-inflammatory desserts

Caroline923

Gluten free girl and the chef is a great blog. and Gluten free girl better known as Shauna James Ahern, has just published a gluten-free cookbook named after the blog.

However, I have really never checked out the recipes to see if they are also sugar-free.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never worked with agave, but I do a fair amount of gf experimentation...here's my cream puff recipe, though obviously using rice flour has its own sugar considerations...but there's no added sugar in the pate a choux and you can use whatever filling you like, so if you have a sugar free custard cream recipe, go for it! Otherwise, whipped cream works just fine. There are some crap quality sugar-free chocolates out there that you can use for decoration, but I've never found a good one (let me know if you do!).

1 c. water or milk

1 stick + 1 Tbl butter

Heat in a large saucepan until the mixture comes to a full rolling boil. Remove from heat and add

half a cup of quinoa flour

and half a cup + 1 Tbl of rice flour

Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until mixture comes together and pulls from the sides. Return to medium heat and cook & stir until mixture dries slightly, about 3 minutes. Mixture should easily come into a ball.

In a stand mixer, place ball of dough. Let sit for 5-10 minutes until cool enough to touch (but still warm). Crack 5 (large-xlarge) eggs & 1 yolk (or 6 medium-large eggs) into a spouted cup. Start beating the dough on medium speed and add the eggs one at a time, waiting until each egg is fully incorporated before add the next one. When you finish add the last egg, the paste is ready to use.

Pipe cream puffs or eclairs onto parchment/foil onto baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees until fully puffed and golden. Poke a small hole (w/ a toothpick) in each and leave in turned-off oven with the door ajar for 5 minutes.

Transfer to cooling rack, then fill with pastry cream, whipped cream, or pudding.