• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Powdered Mushrooms

beauregard

Properly dried, I would think they would last indefinitely without harming. Whether or not they still have any culinary value is another question, though; powdered foods tend to oxidize quickly. (Think of powdered spices.) If they still taste good to you, then I'd go ahead and use them.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

That's good advice.

Old fungi + flavourful liquid = goodness.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Some mushrooms (supermarket) have no flavor and no aroma.

Dried mushrooms have good flavor, but not much aroma.

Fresh shiitake has lots of aroma and flavor, including the stems. Put the stems in a coffee grounder and turn them into a paste. Add that to your  liquid.

Secrete ingredient - Asian markets have mushroom extract powder. One pinch is all you need. It's like mushroom MSG. 

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_sMbBX-uOWbQ/THMeIra3zJI/AAAAAAAACFw/UyhfYg0EhTk/s1600/IMG_7387.JPG

Truffles have the most aroma :-).

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

Some mushrooms (supermarket) have no flavor and no aroma.

Dried mushrooms have good flavor, but not much aroma.

Fresh shiitake has lots of aroma and flavor, including the stems. Put the stems in a coffee grounder and turn them into a paste. Add that to your  liquid.

Secrete ingredient - Asian markets have mushroom extract powder. One pinch is all you need. It's like mushroom MSG. 

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_sMbBX-uOWbQ/THMeIra3zJI/AAAAAAAACFw/UyhfYg0EhTk/s1600/IMG_7387.JPG

Truffles have the most aroma :-).

dcarch

I see that the powdered mushrooms you refer to is labeled as boullion. What is the salt content like?

I can't find the nutrition information, but I'd bet that it's high in sodium. The ingredients are:

"Flavor enhancer (monosodium glutamate, disodium 5' ribonucleotide), salt, rice, sugar, acid hydrolyzed vegetable protein seasoning (contains soya), flavoring, dehydrated mushroom."

No wonder it's "like mushroom MSG." It is mushroom MSG.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On December 10, 2011 at 11:33 AM, gfweb said:

I just got a bunch or cheap shiitakes and plan on making mushroom powder.

Do I roast first or just dry and grind?

I had a few bags of dried shiitakes and ground them up to make powder.   I've use it in a few dishes including beefing up the flavor of mushroom soup

• Like 2

Here's a link to a magic mushroom powder recipe. You can certainly reduce or eliminate the salt altogether as I do and trust that my seasoning will account for enough salt.  This makes a lot but you can certainly reduce the quantities of all the ingredients.  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Here's a link to a magic mushroom powder recipe. You can certainly reduce or eliminate the salt altogether as I do and trust that my seasoning will account for enough salt.  This makes a lot but you can certainly reduce the quantities of all the ingredients.  

This sounds amazing, I will definitely point a couple of my paleo buddies at it but it sounds delish in its own right :)

I often freeze dry or dehydrate fresh mushrooms, especially the more exotic varieties when I am lucky enough to find them, and then grind/crush them up to make mushroom powder. I love the umami the powder adds to some dishes (even those which do not call for mushrooms) - and, like Anna, when using mushroom powder I find I often need less or no salt. Mushrooms are very nutritious and this way I get to add in that nutrition without added salt which may be in a commercial dried mushroom preparation.

• Like 1

It had not occurred to me to do this. I bought some wildly expensive umami and mushroom powder a few years ago and I still have some Japanese porcini powder but once this has gone .... :)

On 12/10/2011 at 8:33 AM, gfweb said:

I just got a bunch or cheap shiitakes and plan on making mushroom powder.

Do I roast first or just dry and grind?

I make a year' supply of mushroom powder each fall. We collect chanterelle by the 5 gallon bucket fulls. Into a quick cold water bath. Pat as dry as possible. Slice them into quarters then into the food dehydrator (We used to use a the oven set at very low temp) in batches. The trick is to make sure the mushroom pieces aren't touching each other too much. After a day or so depending on the outdoor heat where we use the dehydrator we remove the mushrooms and using a food processor roughly chop them into small pea sized pieces. Then in batches into the coffee bean grinder. Just a quick whizz and they are the size of black pepper corns. Into small Ziploc bags then into the freezer. They last for months and don't need reconstituting. Just a sprinkle on scrambled eggs in soups, you name it.

• Like 1