• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Point (Saranac Lake)

Deacon

I have never been there although I have looked, in the past, into what it would be like to visit. The things that put me off were, for one, that it was part of Relais and Chateau; also, that tie and jacket is required for all dinners and that black tie is suggested.

It looks beautiful both from a geographic standpoint and from an accommodations standpoint, at least in their promotional materials, but I just can't imagine lugging a trunk full of formal wear to upstate New York. :shock:

Edited by stefanyb (log)

I was considering going this past summer but friends who had been years ago put me off it. They said that besides it being overly formal, the food was horrid and the wines were cheap and disappointing given the outrageous prices charged. If I recall correctly, the food and wine is included but the daily price of a room was more then $1000 a day.

My wife went there several years ago and had more or less the same impression. She said that management claimed that they would go out and get anything anyone wanted. That was one reason among a few others that I always call the place "The Joint".

We went to Lake Placid Lodge a few years ago--a sister hotel that was a bit cheaper. Enjoyed our time there but two days was enough in the Lake Placid area. Food was fine but if you don't eat in the hotel there is no place worth dining in the area.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

My husband and I were there a few years ago for 3 nights in May. We stayed in the Boat House, which is their most expensive room ($1,600 at the time and now I believe it is over $2,000). We got there early and asked for a tour of some of the other rooms and if I had gotten to see them before we decided on the Boat House I would have choosen one of the other ones (but not any in the main building). The rooms I would consider are Morningside, Trappers, and Weatherwatch (I beleive my favorite). And yes, the food and wine are included in the price (don't you think they should be).

The place is magnificant and the location is even better. But be warned, this is still the Adirondacks and so rustic is the name of the game. It is not as luxurious as say a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons Hotel.

The food was good, but not as good as some meals I have had at some Manhattan restaurants. For the money, it should have been better. For dinner, you sit with all the other guests in The Great Hall, which is quite an impressive room. If you are not open to this, room service is available. I recommend that you ask for room service for at least one of your meals, because it was a great experience. We had breakfast in bed and it was a lot of fun.

When we left, they provided lunch for us to take along as an added bonus.

The one major disappointment was the wine selection. I felt that for the money, the wine didn't measure up. And, this aspect is extremely important to my husband. One thing that was really annoying was that when we arrived there was a bottle of champagne, I believe Veuve Cliquot, which we drank the first night. I fully expected this to be replaced the following day, which it was not. Now I suppose that if we had asked for another bottle they would have provided, it but I didn't think we should have to ask.

Have you looked into Twin Farms in Vermont? I think I would recommend it over The Point.

And, FYI, formal dress is required on Saturday and Wednesday and if you don't want to dress for dinner, you can have room service which is unlike any room service you will ever experience. The service is amazing. On the other nights, while they say a jacket and tie is requested, I don't believe my husband wore them. You could call just to verify, if you are still interested in going.

All in all, I don't think we would return, although we have thought about it because of how beautiful it is.

Edited by ArynT (log)

The things that put me off were, for one, that it was part of Relais and Chateaux . . .

What's wrong with Relais and Chateaux? I always assumed, by reputation, that they were a very opulent chain. (Maybe when you get to that rarefied level "chain" isn't the proper word?) :huh:

ArynT: For $2000 a night you should have your own butler to pour your drinks down your throat for you--and to custom-tailor your formal evening wear so you won't have to lug a tux out to the middle of Adirondack Park. There was a program on the Travel Channel last night about a hotel in Dubai, the Burj al-Arab, with "seven" stars (I thought you could only get a maximum of five), where rooms are "only" $700.

Edited by Deacon (log)

What's wrong with Relais and Chateaux? I always assumed, by reputation, that they were a very opulent chain. (Maybe when you get to that rarefied level "chain" isn't the proper word?)    :huh:

I suppose you could describe Relais and Chateaus as opulent. I've stayed at a number of hotels in France and Italy that were

part of R&C and I found them to be physically beautiful but the staff to be so fed up with obnoxious Americans who think they can act any way they please and demand anything they want that they, the staff, have an attitude of impatience and annoyance. Also, having to put up with the guests is not very pleasant even for another guest. R&C seems to attract a certain type. Perhaps upstate NY is different but I doubt it.

Also, I've never found the food and wine to live up to the prices.