• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

China Pizza Hut salad towers

CFT

http://dailyfacepalm.com/2009/06/03/pizza-hut-will-not-survive-in-china/

Wow. We used to make a bit of a mound when we went to the salad bar, rather than a "one layer" affair that Pizza Hut would like us to make, but these Chinese efforts are truly stupendous. Not sure that I would want so much pineapple and peach in my salad.

Best Wishes,

Chee Fai.

It's a popular chain with salad bars? But people do this in Korea, too. We used to make layered pies out of the side dish salads. Start with a base of sweet potato salad, add a layer of strawberry yogurt on lettuce, build with some sweet corn and pickles, top the whole thing off regular potato salad. Playing with your food is irresistible.

Why Pizza Hut?

I think:

1. Pizza Hut may be the only pizza outfit that made it to China (Hong Kong first). It is the only popular one anyway. In HK, I haven't seen any other US pizza chain. No Round Table, Straw Hat, Shaky's or anything like that.

2. They have the "one trip only" to the salad bar policy. I think that challenged people to "get as much food as you can on one plate". I had been to pizza huts and dined regularly in Hong Kong in the mid 80's. Same policy. And people played with the idea back them - to get as much salad items as you can on one plate. But nothing compared to the scale that we see in those pictures.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Papa John's is here now too, and is positioned as more upscale, much more so than in the US.

There's another chain I've noticed around Beijing - Origan's or something similar.

Papa John's looks upscale, but the pizza is still pretty cardboard-abysmal. For staff events at school, or Principal often has Pizza Hut and KFC brought in. The pizza looks even less like pizza than it does in Canada; although of course, it's meant to be catering to local tastes. It seems popular with our Chinese staff, so it must be working.

OMG, this is just hilarious! I remember when Pizza Hut first opened in HK. I was a kid then. There was also the one bowl policy. Of course, being "good" Chinese, we try to cramp as much in the bowl as we could. There were some good size bowls but they were shameful compare to these ones in China. :laugh:

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...