• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calbee shrimp flavored chips

heidih

I remember a shrimp chip from my childhood. We called them Chinese Potato chips. but I bet they're different from yours.

they were sold dried in the store. They were about the size of a quarter/half dollar. Each chip was a different color. You had to deep fry them. Filled the pan about half way with oil, drop a chip in the hot oil. The chip puffed up, still retained the color. Drain on a paper towel.

Haven't found them, but I can still see the multicolored dried chips. Definitely shrimp flavored.

vloglady, I know what you're talking about. Also called shrimp chips. These Calbee ones are more like... chips meaning the British definition of chips.

heidih, I used to get the plain ones as a very occasional snack as a kid, but after buying the regular ones a few times I started getting the wasabi flavored ones and that's all I buy anymore. I don't buy them too regularly because I polish off the bag too quickly.

They have a garlic flavored one, BTW, but I don't remember being that impressed by it.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Yes I have seen other flavors but have stuck with wasabi. I put them in a screw top glass jar which retains the crunch and ration just a few at a time. They are quite addictive. Even the dog likes them.

They're dangerously good. I warn you, do not dip them in hot Chinese mustard. I repeat, do not dip them in hot mustard. You'll wake up two days later covered in shrimp dust, wondering where the hell you went wrong. Very addictive.

I've been eating these since I was a kid. My family would go out for the day, and I'd feign sickness, or headache, to stay home and read. I'd lay across the futon in the cool of the living room, and devour both a huge bag of these, and whatever book I was into. Great snacky, and great memories. And I don't even like shrimp.

Edited by Lilija (log)

• 1 month later...

I'd wager that if you asked any kid (at least of my generation) who grew up in Asia about Calbee shrimp chips, they'd not only remember it, they'll have loved it at some point :)

As for the "shrimp chips" that puff up when fried, we knew them as "keropok" in Indonesia and Malaysia. They were - and are - awesomely addictive (and probably super-bad for you :(

I've seen squid and fish flavored keropok for sale but it's always the shrimp for me :)