• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boston lunch?

Smokelaw1

hey all,

Was hoping to get a fast recommendation. I'll be in boston right near south station, TOMORROW. I don't know boston, and will be reliant on mass transit...so I can do it, but it will eat into the time I have for lunch. Will have about 2.5 hours starting at 12:30 or so. Was REALLY hoping to find a tasting menu. French is best, but am quite open. Cost not really an issue.

Anybody have some quick recomendations....and thought on the possibility of getting a table?

Thanks!!

Look at my Boston dining map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=106324921966915789140.00044904677eb2ed32f48&ll=42.355721,-71.059656&spn=0.018806,0.038581&z=15

Radius, at top restaurant in Boston, is open for lunch (two blocks away). Others are within a few minutes walking distance or grab a cab.

Pigale, a French crossover restaurant, is .7 miles to the west.

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

Thanks Scargo!!

Edit...just called Radius, they are going to put togehter a lunchtime tasting for me. I love it when it is clear that a restaurant enjoys having people in that are just excited to eat well. I was clearly excited by their menus, and I'm looking forward to it!

Edited by Smokelaw1 (log)

OK, bear with me. I’ve just finished a two plus hour lunch with much wine. I even asked for a light pour!

I wish I had taken better notes…or asked for a written menu.

Amuse 1: Shrimp w/ chili jam, crispy onions, and radishes. First bite as nice enough, but felt like it was missing something., Second (last) bite showed me that that something was radish! With it, POP! Quite nice. Each component was necessary. Each one played its part in a different section of the taste…

My one complaint/surprise here is that I had not yet been offered wine. They knew I was having the tasting, and I had been offered their special iced teas and lemonades, but no wine yet.

Amuse 2: Salmon Sashimi, edemame paste, something with a little spice, but can’t rememeber what, and watermelon. Rather wonderful. At this point, I couldn’t help it, I asked for wine. I thought a Riesling would have done wonderful things for this dish. It was explained that they were waiting for the end of the “treats” to start the pairing. I understood of course, but it would have been nice. Within seconds, a nice pour or KungFu Girl 2009 Riesling was in front of me. I thanked him very kindly, and asked for further pours to be lighter, so as to not make the rest of my day a haze. With the addition of this wine to the table…..I must say that this was one of the most enjoyable things a chef has sent to my table in a long time. Up there with some of the amuses (is that the plural of amuse?) at per se…..even, dare I say it, the Sea Urchin and Pork Fat at Marea (not an Amuse, but it was sent to the table by the chef for our party…so it counts, right?)

First Course: Still with the kiungfu girl: Bluefin tuna, and a tuna tartar. Avacado paste, spicy cukes, tobiko. Again, each component had to be included in each bite to make it seem “complete” (probably why they were all included on the plate) resulting in a bit of on-fork construction between tastes….but those tastes were really very good. The tartar was almost unnecessary, and was the least inspired (and flavorful) part of a dish with strong flavors…perhaps it would be best served by itself. Again, though, these are “thoughts” not complaints. The dish was very enjoyable. At this point, I was getting quite excited for the meal, as everything was very nice so far.

Second Course: Paired with a nice brut champage, can not recal the variety. There was a slight timing hiccup here (understandable for a specially requested lunchtime tasting during peak business lunch hours), and I waited some time for this course to come. I don’t know how long it was, but while the champagne was being poured, the gentlman next to me had to ask for his lunch, as he felt it had been too long since he ordered. By the time my next course came, he was almost DONE with his food. The dish made up for it. , Really made up for it. Lightly scrambled farm egg with lobster and caviar, brioche toast. It was as good as it sounds. The flavors come out the best on the toast, though perhaps the caviar is lost…but what can you do? Amazing varety of tastes when eaten with middle of toast or crust, or by itself. YUM. Every now and then, a dish seems to become MUCH more than the sum of its parts (oysters and pearls, anyone?) And this is one of those dishes. At this point, I’m smiling after every bite.

Third Course: Slow roasted Scottish salmon, gnocchi, carrots, can not place the liquid or the accompanying vegetables. Moderatly citruses, a touch of sea salt on top? Paired with a 2008 Elk Cove All-steel pinot noir. The wine is PERFECT with this dish. I am not a giant fan of salmon, so this is my least favorite so far, but that is not the fault of the dish., It is prepared expertly, and paired wonderfully. It was a largish portion for a lunch tasting.

Fourth Course: A lagoile steak knife comes out. What will it be? Beef? Duck? Lamb? Oh, anticipation! 2006 Tolaini Valdisanti is poured. (75% cab sav, 20 % sangio, 5% sav blanc??? I could be completely wrong here). Huge red., big nasal presentation.

The noise level is coming down now, and the atmosphere is quite pleasant.

Slow roasted ribeye, some kind of insanely creamy amazing mashed potatos, carrots, port wine sauce, chive oil. Insanely good. Large portion (too large for me, wouldn’t be for others). A truly stellar dish, and thebest wine pairing yet.

At this point, I’m not sure if

1) I’m a little drunk

2) I’m getting stuffed full

3) It’s hot in here, and I am wearing a suit jacket

Or any combination of the above….but I’m sweating a bit more than I like when not eating very spicy ethnic food!

The captain (I think…service, including wine, was a very much shared task) came over and we had a lovely conversation about eating in a new restaurant, or in a city one is unfamiliar with, and the benefits of a tasting menu vs. trying to pick a winner….I agree! Clearly.

Time for the sweet.

Pre-desert: Concorde grape grenada (??) with a poured-over grape sauce. FUN! Simple and yummy…quite sweet, but I can FEEL it cleansing my palette. It is served in a chilled tall shot glass . It is still more than I need. I eat about half of it.

Desert: Horse heavan desert wine…can’t recall any other details.

Asian pear with pastry, served with ginger , and an udzu (sp?) sorbet/ice cream. None of these are my favorite flavors, unfortunately, so I only ate about half. Again, not the dish’s fault, it was done wonderfully, and the flavors did work together beautifully, textures were fantastic together…just not my favorites..

Finish up with a wonderful espresso.

From first being seated to putting down the espresso, 2 hours and 15 minutes.

A wonderful meal. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I HIGHLY recommend the restaurant, and look forward to my next trip to boston!! Though, there are so many fantastic restaurants!! Hopefully I won’t be confined to lunch next time.

Thank you all for your thoughts, and I hope your enjoy my simple write-up.

I wouldn't call it a simple write-up; I enjoyed the descriptions of the foods and textures and felt as if I were there. But where? Forgive me, but you never stated in the whole description that you were at Radius. If others don't read the previous posts they might not get it. Thank you for the heroic effort of over two hours of dining...

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

I wouldn't call it a simple write-up; I enjoyed the descriptions of the foods and textures and felt as if I were there. But where? Forgive me, but you never stated in the whole description that you were at Radius. If others don't read the previous posts they might not get it. Thank you for the heroic effort of over two hours of dining...

Thanks for your kind words. I am glad i was able to convey my experience. Good call on the fact that I completely left out the name of the restaurant!!

This was fun for me to read; I don't live in Boston anymore, but I was at Radius the first week it opened; your comments about service makes me think: some things never change! I am generally not a fan of tasting menus but you certainly make me rethink that. Sounds like fun.

Tasting menus are my favorite! This one I went into blind, but at restaurants where you can see what they will be serving that night, especially where they will work with you to customize it to your preferences...I find there to be no better way to see what a chef/kitchen and staff can do!