• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I recently stumbled on a book shop in a nearby market town with quite a decent collection of cookery books at bargain prices. Needless to say I have added to my collection.

On a recent visit, Mark Hix British Seasonal Food, sat in a corner marked down to £2 only because it was ever so slightly damaged on the spine. Well I could not resist, confident in finding a handfull of recipes to try.

One of his recipes, Grilled Ox liver with creamed mustard onions, caught my eye. In it he states that being a chef he has always been obsessed with cooking expensive calves liver from Holland, but that ordinary beef liver has similar eating qualities, and you pay little or nothing for it because butchers think it is of little value.

Well normally I would only eat Calves, or Lambs liver myself, but what do I know.

So Morrisons have loads of it, and cheap as chips, about 55p for a veritable mound of the stuff.

I chose some thicker sliced than normal, quickly flash fried and it turned out spot on, beautifully tender. You need to be a bit more diligent trimming it, but the flavour is really good indeed, not at all strong as I had been led to believe.

Some people advocate soaking it in milk although I did not.

Good old Mark Hix :smile:

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1