• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking on a Big Green Egg

Kerry Beal

I love artichokes.  I wonder how long it takes to get there from Kansas...... ;)

Couldn't you click your red slippers together? We would be right there to welcome you. And neither one of us is a real witch (most of the time). There will be so many different foods to try from all of the cooks who show up at these things and try to outdo one another.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

should the Lunch Ladies have a bit of Stamina 

every one here   ( i.e. Me   :biggrin:  )

would very much enjoy as many Pics of this Fest.  as you can manage.

I dont have an Egg, but I can feel and ( probably not ) taste the Enthusiasm. !

:biggrin:

• Like 1

We shall try to be better with the pictures this fest than the last.

• Like 2

I'll try bribing our official photographer (my daughter!).

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1:1:1 flour:butter:cream cheese, by mass?

250 grams cream cheese, 115 grams butter, 210 grams flour - turns out it is not really the best dough for these!  Had a hell of a time with them. 

Waiting for the pictures from Anna's daughter - shall post as soon as I have them.  

250 grams cream cheese, 115 grams butter, 210 grams flour - turns out it is not really the best dough for these!  Had a hell of a time with them. 

I can't think of a way to directly relate this question to the subject at hand but that's not going to stop me from asking anyway... what type of projects do you use that dough for that you have been happy with? I like the sound of it. I use a similar dough with sugar added for sweet purposes but it never occured to me to try it without sugar.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

So we had a lovely day yesterday for the eggfest.  A couple of gusts later in the day lifted a few umbrellas (not ours fortunately).  It was hot and sunny.  

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

Anna wrote out our menu and  we crossed off as each was done 

DSC_0024.jpg

We started with the Creme Brulee French Toast - went a little thicker this time with the bread - not quite as nice as a thinner layer.

DSC_0025.jpg

• Like 3

Mixed up and baked the Kicked Up Cornbread.  Tested done - but wasn't - so popped it back in the pan and baked for another 15 minutes.

DSCN3251.jpg

DSCN3253.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

Didn't last long! 

Edited to add some pictures of the not quite done part!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 6

Mac and Cheese - theoretically for the kiddies cause they need to have something they'll eat.  Snarfed up very quickly by mostly adults.

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

• Like 3

Beef and leek bourek - it didn't brown well on the top (I think some experimentation is in order for placement of the plate setter and pizza stone to aid with this) so we turned it part way though.  

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

• Like 4

That all looks tasty and award-worthy, a nice mix of innovation and familiar comfort food. How nice that the weather behaved itself!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

We had some technical difficulties with the strombli (what's the plural of that do you suppose) - the dough was just a bit too tender, and with the non browning top issue I attempted to flip them.  Got a bit better at it the second time around.

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0103.jpg

• Like 4