• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kerry Beal

Cooking on a Big Green Egg

18 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

It looks like this years Toronto Eggfest might turn out to be a bust. Just got a notice this morning saying that it is only five weeks away and it does not appear that they are actually using cooks. They’re going to cater it? Not quite sure how that’s gonna play out. Unfortunately having  left it so late to organize I’m not available anyway.

So sad... I was looking forward to seeing what you and Anna would make and seeing all your pictures of Toronto eggfest. If you can find out more about their catered eggfest and share with us, it would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Here’s the mailing I got - they need to change the name from “eggfest” to “one guy cooks on some eggs”.

Dicksons Eggfest

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Kerry. Definitely not an "eggfest." Maybe they should check out  this video from the Big Green Egg to see what an eggfest is supposed to be 

45 minutes ago, curls said:

Eggselent question... didn't see prep or finished product. Many more attendees this year, even though we got there 15 minutes after the fest opened, we weren't able to set up our chairs / picnic spot  in one the grassy area behind the cooks, we were off to the side of the cooks and I had a lot more difficulty checking on the status of all the cooks.

Too bad.  They sounded interesting.

On 5/5/2019 at 11:26 AM, ElsieD said:

What were the quail eggs in cups?

Was browsing thru social media and discoved taht someone got a photo of them... here are the quail eggs! Haven't see any other photos of these so your guess is a good as mine on type of bread or dough used for the cup portion of the recipe.

quail-eggs-in-cups.jpg.6751f3e5929b6696f122ababad3b0c53.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, curls said:

Was browsing thru social media and discoved taht someone got a photo of them... here are the quail eggs! Haven't see any other photos of these so your guess is a good as mine on type of bread or dough used for the cup portion of the recipe.

quail-eggs-in-cups.jpg.6751f3e5929b6696f122ababad3b0c53.jpg

Kerry might pipe in on the cup dough. They look like wonton/dumpling wrappers to me. Too small for egg roll wrappers...

19 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Kerry might pipe in on the cup dough. They look like wonton/dumpling wrappers to me. Too small for egg roll wrappers...

Puff pastry maybe?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

Some sort of wrappers I would say.

Not really my area of expertise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Some sort of wrappers I would say.

Not really my area of expertise.

Sorry, I assumed incorrectly that you may have seen something similar in past Green Egg competitions/events.

2 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Sorry, I assumed incorrectly that you may have seen something similar in past Green Egg competitions/events.

Anna and I prefer to do things differently than anyone else at Eggfests! 

They certainly do look like wrappers and it would make sense at an eggfest to use something premade and fast like that. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, curls said:

type of bread or dough used for the cup portion of the recipe

My first impression from the picture was maybe unrolled Pillsbury crescent rolls-type dough.

My local Ace Hardware store does a Traeger v. BGE competition every year. We didn’t go because 1- we have a BGE 2- it was drizzling and 3- they buy from a local butcher so it’s all things we can and have made. If it wasn’t raining it would have been a nice free lunch! 

• Like 2