• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking on a Big Green Egg

Kerry Beal

18 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

It looks like this years Toronto Eggfest might turn out to be a bust. Just got a notice this morning saying that it is only five weeks away and it does not appear that they are actually using cooks. They’re going to cater it? Not quite sure how that’s gonna play out. Unfortunately having  left it so late to organize I’m not available anyway.

So sad... I was looking forward to seeing what you and Anna would make and seeing all your pictures of Toronto eggfest. If you can find out more about their catered eggfest and share with us, it would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Kerry. Definitely not an "eggfest." Maybe they should check out  this video from the Big Green Egg to see what an eggfest is supposed to be 

45 minutes ago, curls said:

Eggselent question... didn't see prep or finished product. Many more attendees this year, even though we got there 15 minutes after the fest opened, we weren't able to set up our chairs / picnic spot  in one the grassy area behind the cooks, we were off to the side of the cooks and I had a lot more difficulty checking on the status of all the cooks.

Too bad.  They sounded interesting.

On 5/5/2019 at 11:26 AM, ElsieD said:

What were the quail eggs in cups?

Was browsing thru social media and discoved taht someone got a photo of them... here are the quail eggs! Haven't see any other photos of these so your guess is a good as mine on type of bread or dough used for the cup portion of the recipe.

quail-eggs-in-cups.jpg.6751f3e5929b6696f122ababad3b0c53.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, curls said:

Was browsing thru social media and discoved taht someone got a photo of them... here are the quail eggs! Haven't see any other photos of these so your guess is a good as mine on type of bread or dough used for the cup portion of the recipe.

quail-eggs-in-cups.jpg.6751f3e5929b6696f122ababad3b0c53.jpg

Kerry might pipe in on the cup dough. They look like wonton/dumpling wrappers to me. Too small for egg roll wrappers...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

19 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Kerry might pipe in on the cup dough. They look like wonton/dumpling wrappers to me. Too small for egg roll wrappers...

Puff pastry maybe?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

Some sort of wrappers I would say.

Not really my area of expertise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Some sort of wrappers I would say.

Not really my area of expertise.

Sorry, I assumed incorrectly that you may have seen something similar in past Green Egg competitions/events.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Sorry, I assumed incorrectly that you may have seen something similar in past Green Egg competitions/events.

Anna and I prefer to do things differently than anyone else at Eggfests! 

They certainly do look like wrappers and it would make sense at an eggfest to use something premade and fast like that. 

• Like 2

My local Ace Hardware store does a Traeger v. BGE competition every year. We didn’t go because 1- we have a BGE 2- it was drizzling and 3- they buy from a local butcher so it’s all things we can and have made. If it wasn’t raining it would have been a nice free lunch! 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Bacon burger bombs cooked on the Kamado Joe and inspired by a video that my husband sent me to watch. :laugh:

Yes, I have probably been home too long without enough challenging mental activity but it was fun, tasty, and brightened our moods.

1002338403_IMG_6020-baconburgerbombs-raw.jpg.a306c7226760945318a02e0b0ffc8d7c.jpg 1134565268_IMG_6023-baconburgerbombs-cooked.jpg.e7805dbaa88db37b966abc389c5a00a5.jpg

And a link to the video that inspired it all... https://youtu.be/t1IiUAtoNBk

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Bought this Espetosul battery powered rotating skewer for myself for Christmas - today I finally opened it! Had some nice pieces of sirloin cap cut for picahana. 

BIAX9397.thumb.jpeg.663d4c37491df284f4fd17a7fd39eacc.jpeg

IMG_3604.thumb.jpeg.a43ceaf187b6d41360a1f600f48aa9b5.jpeg

• Like 14

• 1 year later...

Goodness, I meant to post this months ago! Picture of some cream cheese I smoked on the Kamado Joe back in October 2021.  Made this because I was seeing so many videos of smoked cream cheese. It was fine but I was definitely not as impressed as all the people making videos of this process.

1054179129_IMG_6840-smokedcreamcheese.jpg.f7906798138ccef8066dbdd6b41ab42a.jpg

• Like 2

Another set of images that I am just getting to posting - cold smoking cheese & pecans from November 2021. I was very happy with how everything turned out. Favorite smoked cheeses from this batch were the mozzarella and monterey jack. Pecans were smoked for about 30 minutes and the cheeses were smoked for about 2 hours. Each cheese was chilled, then vacuum sealed, put in the fridge, and allowed to mellow for at least two weeks.

148487594_IMG_6922-coldsmoketube.jpg.e1924735a9ba498e820144c0ab69d9b4.jpg

1702061765_IMG_6925-cheesetosmoke.jpg.9de2e4b6bf71cb398055e8863856cadb.jpg

115320057_IMG_6926-cheeseongrill.jpg.415d9e67cdc2e520464f53a19e405634.jpg

1902958607_IMG_6948-cheeseandpecans.jpg.5f843056ae04304f6e3ec020b15dccde.jpg

368096776_IMG_6952-smokingcheese.jpg.4fe5fc9e4fb3c3cf386105c4c2361f19.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

• 6 months later...

Goodness, not often that I get to follow my own post with a gap of several months! I know people have been using their kamado cookers but have been posting in other threads.  It was time to smoke another batch of cheese. Today I have mozzarella, monterey jack, cheddar, and gouda cheese cold smoking on the kamado Joe. Planning to smoke them for  1 1/2 hours.

IMG_0092-coldsmokingcheese.thumb.jpg.bb3b16da6d324b7672d41656d8436d75.jpg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, &roid said:

What type of wood are you using in the smoking tube? Interesting that the cheese is rested for a couple of weeks, what does that do to it?

I’m using Traeger wood pellets in the smoking tube, using their maple and cherry blend.

The cheese doesn’t taste good right after it has been smoked. The resting period changes the flavor of the smoked cheese. Perhaps there is a scientific reference that explains the process. Some recipes say the smoked cheese is ready after 3 days. It all depends on how much smoke you use, how long you smoke the cheese, and your taste. I’ll probably sample the cheese next week to see how this batch is coming along.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Forgot to post this earlier but I was gifted the rotisserie attachment for my Kamado Joe!!! Have cooked a few items and really enjoy it. Anyone else cooking on their Big Green Eggs or Kamados?

IMG_6989-joetisserie.thumb.jpg.575742db9c3328eea896982ca498d1fe.jpg

IMG_6994-joetisseriechicken.thumb.jpg.f9342a3510f3ebbaa6b53b6940cc54a9.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@curls 

excellent

i grew up with a fairly flat

charcoal grill   pre weber

but my parents added a 1/2 diameter hood

w a rotisserie attachment.

I remember that  sat and sunday

2 chickens, the sound of the motor  ...

I added one to my 3 burner weber ( gas )

specifically for the rotisserie and those memoirs.

I take it , w your Kamado

there is an ' insert' for the rotisserie

that allows you to close the Kamado

I know you are going to enjoy it.

pls post if you can your future results.

and possibly you can add a second set of 

' folks ' for two chickens next time

no joke

same amount of work

extra chicken 

for seconds   or something interesting  tomorrow.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

and possibly you can add a second set of 

' folks ' for two chickens next time

no joke

same about of work

extra chicken 

for seconds   or something interesting  tomorrow.

I'm with rotuts. Two is almost as easy as one, and extra smoked chicken is a blessing.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

3 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

I'm with rotuts. Two is almost as easy as one, and extra smoked chicken is a blessing.

I agree that it is nice to do two chickens at once and I bought a second set of forks/spears to hold another bird. This kamdo isn't huge and to spin 2 chickens I have to locate two small and short chickens.  So, it works sometimes but is a really tight squeeze other times. It's easier to cook two chickens on the grill or do two beer can chickens. Still, I really like the rotisserie.  Got a basket for it too and that makes amazing chicken wings. Continuing to experiment!

• Like 1