• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking on a Big Green Egg

Kerry Beal

I recently planked a nice salmon filet for the first time, meaning cooked it on a piece of cedar (you can get those easily nowadays, even at the safeway meat counter). Cooked at 400F per instructions, had just a bit soysauce and pepper on it.

Grill sat directly on the fire ring, no plate setter or anything in between.

Best. Salmon. Ever. Really, I've never ever eaten salmon THAT good! Perfectly cooked, juicy, just the right amount of smoke from the plank (which pretty much turned to coal on the bottom). Just crazy delicious, if you've never cooked on a plank, run and get one. The wood is soaked in water (I added a bit salt and lime juice) for about an hour or so, so the fish first gets steamed then smoked ever so lightly. Have a spritz bottle handy to extinguish any little glowing parts once you take it off the grill, serve directly from the plank. Don't have time to post a photo right now (did that get any easier by now?) but it was gorgeous to look at with a nice golden brown sheen. The little left over we ended up with was mixed into cream cheese the next day, eaten on everything bagels. Best ever lox spread!

This weekend I hope to roast some quail with grapes and little onions if I get to it. recipe from the paper this week.

I still have my Weber, but nothing beats the BGE :-)

Edited by OliverB (log)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

• 1 year later...

The snow finally cleared sufficiently that I could get within a couple of feet of my egg.  Gave it a vacuuming out - put my little Pro-Q smoker loaded with sugar maple dust and smoked some cheese.

I did half a wheel of Jarlsberg and two kilo's of Cabot extra sharp cheddar.  Should keep me supplied for a few weeks.  Of course I had to turn some over to my neighbour - he was peeking through the fence when I was unloading the egg.  Those sad puppy eyes...

• Like 2

do you have a ref to the ProQ ?  i know what you mean but I end up getting those you know extended weber kettles

some where there were also sawdust smokers that were tubular ?

many thanks

Here you go - the american dealer where I got mine.  I buy my sawdusts from these guys.  They are from the US if I'm not mistaken.  You can get more woods from them in the US than we in Canada can.  Saw them at the Canadian Restaurant and Food Association show and they had some products I wished I could get my hands on.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight decided it was time to pull out the wok and make some dry fried beans.  Nothing better than woking outside on the BGE so you don't have to run the ventilation at full blast.   

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

• Like 3

That would be Fuchsia Dunlop's version here.  I have a couple of bottles of preserved mustard greens that I made last year that I use for the preserved vegetable.

• 2 months later...

Early in June Anna and I cooked at the Dickson's Eggfest in Toronto.

photo 2.JPG

We started the morning with creme brûlée french toast

DSC_0033.jpg

Followed up by Pane de Campagne

DSC_0021.jpg

Look at that crumb!

DSC_0035.jpg

Grilled romaine with caesar dressing.

DSC_0022.jpg

Mac and Cheese.

DSC_0008.jpg

Some nice little mushroom turnovers.

DSC_0030.jpg

Baguette with smoked cheese (jarlsberg and cheddar)

DSC_0042.jpg

Mrs Beeton's Bakewell Pudding.

MIA are pictures of our cinnamon buns and our pork loin with peach red pepper chutney.

• Like 3

Jon,

Finding the right sized wok and getting a wok shovel long enough not to burn myself where the greatest challenges.  

Kerry,

I assume you have  a large egg. If so do you have a spider from http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-spider-big-green-egg.html ? With the spider legs down it raises the wok higher from the fire and holds it securely in place.Saving you from having to get your fingers burnt.See attached pics.

P1010032-1.jpg

What size is your wok?I have a 14" wok , spatula, and ladle from the www.wokshop.com.   http://www.wokshop.com/store/detail.php?show=500 the handles are 18" long.

The spider can be used with other eggcessories too.

Are you familiiar with the adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store? It's great for multiple level cooking on the egg.

Jon

P1010013.JPG

It's a large - I think the wok is 16 inches.  I use the spider - legs up for somethings and down for others.  The burns happen just from the heat coming around the sides of the wok.  With the really long shovel and pair of ove gloves I've avoided further burns. 

I also have the adjustable rig - but don't actually find I use it much.  

A Simple 4th of July Dinner for 2 on the Big Green Egg

Corn slathered with white miso, and butter then rolled in toasted panko,white and black sesame seeds.

Tri tip marinated in Soy sauce, fish sauce, hoisin , garlic,onion for 24 hours.

Pink Beans

Made great roast beef sandwiches the next day!

Wife liked the corn..Me- I'm kind of a purist brought up on Ohio sweet corn..butter  salt and pepper is fine.

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010009.JPG

Edited by smokinjack (log)
  • Like 3

Jon - that corn looks amazing!

Thanks Kerry. Very simple

toast 1tsp veg oil,1/2 cup panko,1Tbls white sesame seeds,1tsp black sesame seeds.Pour onto a big plate to cool.

mix 2Tbls softened butter with 2tsp white miso.

Slather corn with miso/butter, then roll ears in panko sesame mixture.

Cook direct on a 400' grill for about 8 minutes turning every two minutes.

• 1 month later...

Getting ready for the Niagara Eggfest on Sunday.  Prep so far is two loaves of Forkish bread in the freezer, two puff pastry blackcurrent jalousie in freezer, mac and cheese in freezer, tocino made and in fridge.  Anna is prepping artichoke gratin and bourek.  Cornbread will be put together at the last minute.

Today I'm making a couple of stromboli.

IMG_1525.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

• Like 7

And here are two more Eggfest offerings:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ground beef and leek borek

image.jpg

And artichoke bake with frozen artichoke bottoms, parmesan, olives and a lemon and olive oil dressing.

Both will be baked on the BGE on Sunday.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

does the artichoke 'bake' get rolled up into similar 'tubes' ?

looks delicious.

No. They are now covered with a layer of parchment and a foil "lid". They will be baked with the parchment and foil in place for 15 or 20 minutes. Then the covering will be removed and they will be baked until they brown nicely on top.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog