• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking on a Big Green Egg

Kerry Beal

Today's cook, on my Mini Egg...moroccan stuffed flatbread (r'ghayef) from Anissa Helou's "Mediterranean Street Food", plus a couple of hanger steaks and some tenderloin tip kebabs dusted with Penzey's turkish seasoning.

P1291833.JPG

P1291835.JPG

ETA: I used the MiniWoo ring to raise the cooking grid, and an 8" baking stone, as seen in the flatbread picture. While the smaller cooking surface means you can only cook one bread (or pizza) at a time, I really like the results when using the Mini to cook flatbreads.

Edited by HungryC (log)

Today's cook, on my Mini Egg...moroccan stuffed flatbread (r'ghayef) from Anissa Helou's "Mediterranean Street Food", plus a couple of hanger steaks and some tenderloin tip kebabs dusted with Penzey's turkish seasoning.

P1291833.JPG

P1291835.JPG

ETA: I used the MiniWoo ring to raise the cooking grid, and an 8" baking stone, as seen in the flatbread picture. While the smaller cooking surface means you can only cook one bread (or pizza) at a time, I really like the results when using the Mini to cook flatbreads.

Nice! What are the flatbreads stuffed with?

Flatbreads are stuffed w/mixture of minced onion, butter, cumin, hot paprika, red pepper flakes, and chopped parsley. A flour/water/yeast dough is kneaded, rested, then stretched thinly, spread w/the filling, and folded & restretched a few times. The onions stayed a bit crisp, but the folding/stretching made nice layers.

• 1 month later...

Did beef ribs on the egg today. Two racks of back ribs and a chunk of ribs from a piece of short rib that I intend to use for pastrami.

Rubbed with mustard, salt and pepper. Cooked at 225-250F for about 5 1/2 hours, then slathered with a mixture of Arthur Bryant's and the LCBO sticky rib sauce. Another 45 minutes or so.

Flavour of the meat from the short rib portion was far superior to the back ribs.

DSCN2709.jpg

DSCN2714.jpg

Did Nueske's applewood bacon on my Mini for breakfast today, and followed that up with two pizzas on the large for lunch. Here's the first pizza, cooked on a pizza stone atop two firebricks atop the plate setter, legs down. The Egg had a raging fire of fresh lump, temp was around 625-650. Preheated the whole shebang for ~30 minutes, then peeled on the first pizza. I made it on parchment so it could sit around while the Egg heated up.

P3271957-1.JPG

A shot of the pizza cooking, through the top vent.

P3271959.JPG

The finished product.

P3271962.JPG

Edited by HungryC (log)

It finally stopped raining here in NorCal and while I had my egg in use even in a light drizzle (I stood under the roof) to smoke some bacon and bbq some chicken, it's nice to move it to "it's place" and get cooking again! Got it up to a good 620 degree and made two nice ribeyes on it last night, also refreshed (warmed) a nice little loaf of sourdough bread in there. Got side tracked with the kids and missed the perfect time to take them off (probe is always inserted) so they went a bit past medium rare, but still tasted great and had a wonderful crust and grill marks. Served with butter sauteed spinach with shaved parmesan, a poached egg and tomato salad from the first fresh new tomatoes of the year from the market, hello spring! :laugh:

I have some focaccia dough in the fridge, I think I'll make something with that (and some more tomatoes) tonight. Gotta clean all the accessories from winter's dust.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

do tell if you find such a recipe! There are tons of recipes out there, but one that works really well on the BGE would be nice to have handy. Do any of you own the little BGE cook book? I still have to buy it, wondering if there's a recipe in there?

- Thomas Keller

Hey Oliver

Right now I am using a recipe from the BGE fourm.(Thank you Zippylip)

The first slideshow in this post is the one I use.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=987401&catid=1#

Still need a lot of practice on the hand stretching but getting there :smile:

EggPizza.jpg

Shane

Edited by Mr Holloway (log)

great, thanks!

Question, what are those little feet sticking out from under your pizza stone? They look like those things you put under a flower pot? I just put my pizza stone on the plate setter, I'm curious what that extra lift is supposed to do.

- Thomas Keller

Awesome pizza picture shane..

Your making me want a BGE more and more now. OR I might just build a brick oven in the backyard like my Dad had. 6 ft deep cinder block foundations and about 16 ft high . LMAO I will bring a pic of it into work if I remember and can find it. we had to use scaffold to build it.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Awesome pizza picture shane..

Your making me want a BGE more and more now. OR I might just build a brick oven in the backyard like my Dad had. 6 ft deep cinder block foundations and about 16 ft high . LMAO I will bring a pic of it into work if I remember and can find it. we had to use scaffold to build it.

I got a BGE instead of a brick oven....my Egg is portable, in a nest on wheels. Try that with a brick oven, LOL>

Pastrami - got an inexpensive corned brisket (reduced after St Patrick's day), coated in cracked pepper and coriander, hot smoked to 150 F on the egg, then sous vide'd at 79º C (175 F) for 16 hours.

DSCN2731.jpg

DSCN2732.jpg

DSCN2734.jpg

Made a nice Angus beef brisket from Trader Joe's this weekend, only my 2nd attempt at this cut. Last time I hit a plateau for over 2hrs and had to finally take it off a bit before time, as it was after 8pm and kids were starving. Still was tasty, but this one turned out much better. Used a Dizzy Pig rub (love all their rubs, really no reason to mess around with my own) and it came up to temp a lot faster. Eventually wrapped it in foil and after an other hour or so took it out and into a small cooler to keep it warm. Came out delicious! Tender, juicy, wonderful bark. We ate some of it last night on seeded baguette with some cheese - sort of a play on Philly Cheese Steak, also wonderful, and there's some more of it in the fridge.

Made 6 quail earlier this week too, and a whole chicken and 4 partridge are waiting in the freezer. Trying to use up some of the odd things, before my half lamb shows up ;-)

- Thomas Keller