• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking on a Big Green Egg

Kerry Beal

DSCN2082.jpg

DSCN2085.jpg

Got some nice back ribs on sale - decided while I was home today I had time to cook them. Rubbed with Cluck and Squeal, cooked about 6 hours at 200 F, then glazed with some of the Arthur Bryant sauce I brought back from Kansas City last year and cooked direct until nicely crisped up.

Wonderfully moist.

Pizza today - first one was a bit disappointing - bottom done well before the top - so I changed around the set up to get the pizza stone higher in the dome and the second was much better.

DSCN2095.jpg

DSCN2096.jpg

DSCN2100.jpg

DSCN2102.jpg

DSCN2111.jpg

Started the day with the no knead ciabatta mentioned on the bread thread - should have put more lump in the egg before I started - the temp was low, and I didn't get a good crust.

DSCN2116.jpg

A nice bone in pork loin roast - pulled at 135F - should have gone a bit higher - too pink for hubby.

DSCN2119.jpg

Ground up the remains for cottage pie.

• 2 weeks later...

Charred some onions and ginger to make pho broth with the bargain oxtails I found at the grocery store the other day.

DSCN2212.jpg

DSCN2213.jpg

DSCN2215.jpg

Tonight's dinner - meatloaf and baked potatoes. Made the bourbon-bacon jam mentioned on kayb's foodblog. The perfect accompaniment.

DSCN2228.jpg

DSCN2227.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Stunning Kerry. A little more detail on how you cooked it and how long and at what temp? Did you sear first?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Stunning Kerry. A little more detail on how you cooked it and how long and at what temp? Did you sear first?

Nice and simple - Anna's instructions - 500 F for 35 minutes, put on the ceramic top, closed the vent and let it go for another 1 1/2 hours until it reached 135 F. In the oven I would have turned it off and let it sit for 2 hours, but I think the egg holds the heat better.

Ok, so the same we we do prime rib in the oven. As I learned from both of you! Direct or indirect? I was wondering about flare ups from the fat at that high temp.

Marlene

Ok, so the same we we do prime rib in the oven. As I learned from both of you! Direct or indirect? I was wondering about flare ups from the fat at that high temp.

Chose direct - I shall be cleaning the roasting pan until next week!

yes, that is a problem with that method. Even in the oven!

Marlene

It's heavily coated in baking soda right now - did a bit of soda simmering last night. May have to dig out the can of Carbon-Off.

It's heavily coated in baking soda right now - did a bit of soda simmering last night. May have to dig out the can of Carbon-Off.

Barkeepers friend. if you need me to pick up some for you, I'll be in the city this afternoon and can easily do that.

Marlene

Barkeepers friend. if you need me to pick up some for you, I'll be in the city this afternoon and can easily do that.

Got some at home - find the oxalic acid really hard on my hands though.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a bit of smoking on the Egg today - Indian Candy and a pork hock I found in my great freezer clean out.

Both look amazing. I see you learned a lesson and resorted to a disposable pan this time! Smart move.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Did a bit of smoking on the Egg today - Indian Candy and a pork hock I found in my great freezer clean out.

Both look amazing. I see you learned a lesson and resorted to a disposable pan this time! Smart move.

And of course it didn't even get dripped on!

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I was off for the day, and having finally gotten the damn freezer cleaned out - I realized I had a lovely 6.5 lb brisket, flat and point. Rubbed with some Texas BBQ Original Rub that was sent to me in a gift exchange we had on the egghead forum. Lovely stuff.

DSCN2333.jpg

I was late getting started - put it on at about 10:30 am. Stalled at about 2:30, dropping from 159 to 151 by 7:30 pm. Once it started to rise it made it to 180 by about 10:30. Another 5 degrees and it was tender to the thermometer probe and ready to be foiled for a while.

DSCN2335.jpg

DSCN2336.jpg

Beautifully moist - easy to slice - couldn't have turned out better. Of course it could have turned out much earlier in the day! So had it for lunch and dinner today - then turned the point into burnt ends. Thank you eG for introducing me to burnt ends in Kansas City - never would have realized they existed!

DSCN2338.jpg

This was a totally untrimmed brisket - wanted to be sure there was enough fat on it - next time I will give it a bit of a trim. The upside - Anna will have dripping for her bread for a while.

Kerry, it stalled for 5 hours? That seems like an awfully long time. Sure does look good. I wish I had known a week ago it was going to be this warm here today. I would have cured some pork belly and smoked it today. But alas........

Kerry, it stalled for 5 hours? That seems like an awfully long time. Sure does look good. I wish I had known a week ago it was going to be this warm here today. I would have cured some pork belly and smoked it today. But alas........

Felt like forever - and got really nerve wracking as the temperature continued to drop!!!!

Was pretty warm here today too - would have been a good day to clean out the egg - needs a good hot burn and a thorough vacuuming before I do a cold smoke in there next. If it stays warm tomorrow might be a good day for it.

New Years eve pork butt roast on the BGE. It was about 9 lbs to start and smoked it at around 210 to 225 for 24 hours. Covered it in foil for the last three hours because we were afraid it would dry out before it reached 190-195 degrees. Very moist and keeping it in a small cooler wrapped in foil and a towel kept it piping hot until we were ready for it.DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

New Years eve pork butt roast on the BGE. It was about 9 lbs to start and smoked it at around 210 to 225 for 24 hours. Covered it in foil for the last three hours because we were afraid it would dry out before it reached 190-195 degrees. Very moist and keeping it in a small cooler wrapped in foil and a towel kept it piping hot until we were ready for it.DSC_0169.jpg

Nice looking roast - perfect bark!

• 4 weeks later...

The egg, set up with the spider, is excellent for stir frying. All the splatter stays outside!

DSCN2454.jpg

DSCN2456.jpg

Pork tenderloin stir frying.

DSCN2459.jpg

Addition of onions. Served with rice - went over well.

DSCN2461.jpg

With the egg a little cooler - I grilled this tenderloin rubbed with Penzey's Adobo seasoning.

The egg, set up with the spider, is excellent for stir frying. All the splatter stays outside!

If you keep this up I might have to move to a place that will accommodate a BGE! STOP. :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog