• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rustwood

rustwood

spacing

I did some spare ribs the other day and will be doing a brisket tomorrow (rain or shine). 

The rib cook went a little sideways, but they come out just fine. The ends of the ribs were sticking out beyond the deflector so they were a little dry, but I expect that when I crowd the cooker with ribs.  I had planned to cook them at 240, but my kamado overshot to at least 270.  After sampling one of the ends, I realized they were quite spicy so I foiled them with brown sugar and honey to even them out a bit - and to prevent them from drying out.  I should have known better and pulled them off onto a second tray while I foiled, but instead I worked with the lid open and the fire really got going by the time I was done.  I only left them on for another half hour or so for fear of burning the sugar, but by then they were already bending nicely.

The brisket will intentionally be a hot and fast cook tomorrow as I don't like risking a brisket (nor any meal for guests) on an unattended overnight cook - especially when there might be rain.  If I prep it tonight and start it early tomorrow, I should be able to get it done and properly rested in time for a not too late dinner. 

rustwood

rustwood

spacing

I did some spare ribs the other day and will be doing a brisket tomorrow (rain or shine). 

The rib cook went a little sideways, but they come out just fine. The ends of the ribs were sticking out beyond the deflector so they were a little dry, but I expect that when I crowd the cooker with ribs.  I had planned to cook them at 240, but my kamado overshot to at least 270.  After sampling one of the ends, I realized they were quite spicy so I foiled them with brown sugar and honey to even them out a bit - and to prevent them from drying out.  I should have known better and pulled them off onto a second tray while I foiled, but instead I worked with the lid open and the fire really got going by the time I was done.  I only left them on for another half hour or so for fear of burning the sugar, but by then they were already bending nicely.

The brisket will intentionally be a hot and fast cook tomorrow as I don't like risking a brisket (nor any meal for guests) on an unattended overnight cook - especially when there might be rain.  If I prep it tonight and start it early tomorrow, I should be able to get it done and properly rested in time for a not too late dinner. 

rustwood

rustwood