• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lick the spoon

TAPrice

Yesterday I was making a sandwich and noticed that I've gotten in the habit of licking the spoon clean of Dijon mustard.

I used to always lick the mayonnaise spoon, which is a habit I'm pretty I picked up in Spain. These days, I've broken myself of that one.

So what can you not help but lick straight from the spoon?

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Yogurt, honey, lemon curd...

Pretty much anything that's made it on to a spoon (or a spatula).

I have no self control!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Another vote for mayo (Best Foods/Hellman's only please), sour cream, mustard and peanut butter.

And the first vote for dulce de leche or Mrs. Richardson's caramel sauce. These 2 products are simply not safe in my home.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Fruit cake and/or biscuit mix. A caring father would have introduced his son to this pleasure from my childhood, but it was just too hard for me to give up.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

If I've gone and made the spoon dirty I'm more than likely going to lick it, why waste good food even if it is just a tiny amount clinging to the spoon? though I’ll go out of my way to get a spoonful of many things including condensed milk, jam, nutella, honey ...basically anything to satisfy that sugar craving

Ganache, any type of frosting, peanut butter, cookie dough, cake batter, dill pickle juice (when I was a kid, I used to deliberately put extra juice on the plate of dill pickle chips I had as a snack after school and I'd drink it when I'd finished the pickles), ice cream, any kind of sauce I'm making while cooking...yeah, you get the idea. I'm a spoon licker. Nothing is safe around me.

Sweetened Condensed Milk. Spoon for me, but I have to wrest the can away from my husband.

Kinda everything, and I lick cooking spoons too(no, I do NOT put them back in)--but the sweetened condensed milk for me, too, is drunk right out of the can. Childhood habit.

OK, well, that's a different animal.

If we're talking guzzling straight from the container, I have only one to 'fess up to. Hershey's Chocolate Syrup in the squeeze bottle, or...even better...Trader Joe's Midnight Moo in the squeeze bottle. No other delivery implement required. Open nozzle, insert into mouth, and squeeze.

Luckily, its a single person household, so no one else need worry about the fact I've been slobbering all over the chocolate syrup bottle.... :wink:

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"