• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Less than a Quarter of Meals include Vegetables

percival

We have veg every night for dinner and quite often for lunch as it is usually the leftovers from the night before. Here is my process on meal planning that I started this past summer.

First, veg is the center of every meal. Meats are an accompaniment and luxury, so it is used sparingly. I rarely make meat the center of the meal. Grains, legumes, root veg, breads, and the like are extenders to fill out the meal. Fruits are dessert or breakfast (for me at least, I cannot speak for my wife).

On Sunday, we walk to the farmer's market and pick up stuff for the next 3 days and maybe a little extra. I then pick and choose through my findings to create meals. Recipes are either made up or from a few simple recipe books (not Rachel Ray) I have collected. I repeat the process on Wednesday. Sunday afternoon and either Wednesday or Thursday I go to the local supermarkets to buy the remainder of the ingredients.

It will be interesting to see how I adopt it for the winter.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Guilty. I've been feeling lately like I need to focus more on fruits and vegetables in my diet. Its funny because I was vegetarian for 10 years (stopped 10 years ago). I buy vegetables but then just let them rot in the fridge, I am the worst with salad type things. I just threw away some baby arugula and romaine hearts that were liquifying, bought weeks ago and never touched. It's just laziness, pure and simple. Not like making salad dressing is that hard, but I can happily exist on bread and cheese and tacos and sushi for days.