• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen gadgets for those with injuries & disabilities

helenjp

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I found "Press N' Close Salt and Pepper Shakers. They're clear plastic containers with white or black tops - press the little red button and the top flips open, press it again and the top flips closed! Sweet. Apparently there's a cam with a spring ... anyway, it'll get a lot of use in my kitchen (for truffle salt and garlic seasoning). They come empty, with labels that peel off easily. $3.99 at my local Safeway.

When Helen talked about using a mandoline, one of the things that came to mind was a butcher's glove (maybe like this one. My thinking was it would allow you to hold the object you're slicing in a way that suits your injury, without risking further injury. Those pushers/guards can be a I'm sure I saw this idea in Gourmet a few years ago...

• 3 months later...

Tongs:

I have very poor hand control and have dropped a number of things from my two sets of old-fashioned tongs...the kind that Mother used. This included a poblano just lifted from a pan of very hot oil and I dropped it back into the pan splashing the oil my hands. Yikes. Yes, I was careful...it simply doesn't matter sometimes.

What is the best kind of tongs for folks like me?

What about these? Trudeau silicone tongs

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne, are finer motions of the fingers more easily controlled than the larger movements of the hand? Perhaps using what my mom used to call 'corn tongs', the type that have specific handles like a pair of scissors (see link below) might be easier for you? HTH!

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/matfer/652001/p373931.aspx

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I don't lift anything from hot oil with tongs.

I use a frying basket - like this one that has a hook on the side to secure it to the top edge of the pan while the fat drips out.

The arthritis in my right hand is most severe at the base of my thumb where it meets the wrist and my grip strength is seriously affected.

In my left hand I have an intention tremor which has been present since I had a head injury in 1960. When I try to hold something steady the tremor gets worse.

Do NOT get the Lodge basket with the folding handle. It does not stay locked and can fold when turning hot foods out of the basket.

I bought one, had this happen and it immediately was returned.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Andie: You are correct about not lifting anything from hot oil with tongs. Since then I have bought one of those Chinese lifting ladles and that should end those problems. Your basket is a good idea too.

Judiu: I have a pair of tongs which are almost like that. I am still not confident of my ability to hang on. The fingers have no dexterity or strength. I guess the hand is better. Rats to it all.

Which still brings me back to the Trudeau silicone tongs and has anyone tried them?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I have a couple of tongs, one Oxo and one a supermarket cheapie. For me, it depends on the day, and how tired I am if I can use them effectively. Some days no issue, some days my hands and wrists ache if I so much as try to flip a shrimp with them.

I've not tried the Trudeau tongs, but, again for me, a lot depends on how "springy" that top joint is. If it takes too much pressure to hold it closed empty, it's going to cause me problems in use. I'd try to find a pair in a store Darienne, and handle them a bit. See if they "fit" and if they cause pain or fatigue for you. That's really the only way to be sure.

FWIW, the Oxo is pretty good. It has good balance, and has the silicone tips, combined with the strength of the metal arms, and it doesn't take too much pressure to keep it closed.

Those scissors tongs for me are harder to work, and I'm more clumsy with them, plus they press on pressure points in the joints that are extremely painful.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Thanks Pierogi. The problem is that I have not seen any Trudeau items of that kind in my locale. I was going to buy a pair from Amazon.ca (Canada). I love Trudeau's 9" spatulas and a woman can never have enough spatulas.

I know I can find the Oxo tongs in a city about 50 miles from here, if not in the nearby city. We have here only a Stokes (not very interesting at all) and a Hendrix (caters to restaurants and high end equipment.)

Was just hoping that someone would tell me of some pair of tongs which 'I just had to have'. :wink:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

For what it's worth, I have three tongs - 2 are silicone tipped and are made by Cusipro and I have an OXO one which is metal. The Cusipro tongs are tiring to use - the springs are very tight. The springs on the OXO one is much looser and very easy to use. All this to say that before buying tongs, you should get a sense of how tight the springs are. I don't have any problems with my hands but I sure don't like using the Cusipro tongs as my hands get very tired.

• 8 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread to add this comment about something that's not exactly a gadget but may be helpful to those dealing with hand, wrist or arm bandages that prevent wearing gloves.

I've found that Glad Press 'N Seal wrap can be used to make a water-resistant covering to keep bandages clean and dry during various kitchen activities.  It adheres nicely to itself and to the skin.  Multiple, narrow strips can be used to wrap around fingers, etc. Just make sure to press on the edges to seal them.  It's relatively easy to remove and replace if it gets dirty.   Also easy to wrap around the end of a bag and seals it nicely to your skin if you need to cover your whole hand.  

I don't think I'd fully immerse my hand in water but it's let me use that hand to hold a dish while I scrub it with my other hand and everything stayed dry and tidy. 

Like any sort of plastic covering, you wouldn't want to leave it on long term as it would get sort of steamy but it's very handy in the short term.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4