• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Changing Tastes - The older I get

lancastermike

When I was growing up we did not have much variety at our home. It was healthy cooked meals, but not much variety. As I got the opportunity to try various other types of flavors and textures in food I was thrilled. There was nothing I would not try. There were some thing I did not like but bring it on, offal, stinky cheese, whatever you had. And the heat! Loved the heat in foods.

Now as I get older, I seem to be regressing. If I see something on a menu I have not had, chances are I will go the other way. Give me the meatloaf and mac and cheese. The same seems to be true with wine. There are a few I like but just don't care to try new things.

Is this a sign I am just turning into an old fuddy duddy? Are these changes physiological or psychological?

Can anyone else relate to this?

Perhaps you have reached a plateau with some overload and this will change again in a few weeks, months or years.

As long as you are satisfied with what you eat, why worry.

I'm 71 and I still love to try new foods or new ways of preparing foods. However, there are times when I want my old comfort foods that I loved as a child.

Cornbread, beans, bacon and sausage, greens and gravy. :wub:

These episodes do not last very long and soon I am again looking for new dishes to try and fortunately, I have neighbors who cook wonderful Mexican meals that are just as satisfying. I'm sure they are comfort foods for them.

Go with what makes you feel good. Life it too short to agonize over your diet.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

When I was growing up we did not have much variety at our home. It was healthy cooked meals, but not much variety. As I got the opportunity to try various other types of flavors and textures in food I was thrilled. There was nothing I would not try. There were some thing I did not like but bring it on, offal, stinky cheese, whatever you had. And the heat! Loved the heat in foods.

Now as I get older, I seem to be regressing. If I see something on a menu I have not had, chances are I will go the other way. Give me the meatloaf and mac and cheese. The same seems to be true with wine. There are a few I like but just don't care to try new things.

Is this a sign I am just turning into an old fuddy duddy? Are these changes physiological or psychological?

Can anyone else relate to this?

It's pure nostalgia. Little in this world is more comforting than the memory of food. That's what you're eating. Reconstituted memories.

When I need a pick-me-up, I go shopping. Sometimes, I go shopping for food. I'll get something I haven't had in eons, ethnic stuff I used to get when I was young that you can't find in a Safeway.

And you know, you can't be nostalgic or regress when you're young. Not temporally possible. That's just craving what you ate last week. When you hit puberty.

I have a new kidlet who can eat as much as I do, if I let him. When he tries out things for the first time and his face lights up, it's like I'm trying it for the first time. I think, wow, if this is nummy, wait'll he tries that! And I start flipping my mental food Rolodex, searching for things new to try. And if I haven't tried it, he hasn't tried it, either. So because of him, I go and try new things in my advancing decrepitude.

Have my tastes changed? Sure. Like seasons. I go through phases, as I always have, and in that, I'm consistent. Then again, I've always been the most adventurous in the family, food and otherwise.