• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Collapsible Stainless Blanching Basket?

NVNVGirl

I've been trying to find this collapsible stainless steel blanching basket and my local cookware stores don't have them; I've tried online and they seem to come from only one source (although KitchenKrafts says that they'd bought them in bulk and sold all they had and won't get anymore til next "season"). I see "vintage" ones on ebay, but some say they have some corrosion and I don't really need something with a red plastic coated handle.

Does anyone know where I can order one of these? Picture below! Thanks so much for any help. FP1043.jpg

I bought one at the Kitchen factory outlet store here in Lancaster a month or so ago.

I can see if they still have some. If there is one of these stores in your area you can check by phone. The name of the store is Kitchen Collection and I have seen the same stores in other outlet malls.

If all else fails, I have an extra one I can send you.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

YOU are such a PEACH :smile: ! I'll check around here; I can't believe something so simple is so difficult to procure! I'm not desperate for it since I'm using my sisters' at the moment, but I really want to have one on hand. There's an outlet mall near my mom's so will check there first and call the one near you to see if they still have any. If not, I'll bug you! Thanks! Seana

You might also consider this Essential Cook's Colander which this site has at a discount.

I have one of these and it fits nicely in my 8 qt Calphalon stock pot. I use it for blanching tomatoes and peaches, and the mesh is fine enough that I can also use it for blanching almonds, cooking asparagus and etc.

In my opinion it is more versatile than the folding one, but that is just me. I like that this one can stand on its own without collapsing...

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

You're right; it IS more versatile! And, it's AVAILABLE :rolleyes: ! I'm going to order it; it looks like it will hold several tomatoes and facilitate me dipping them into the boiling water and then removing and dumping into cold water. That's all I really want :unsure: . Some of the baskets that are similar to this one didn't have a moveable handle, so this one will be great. Thanks again; I'm off to order it!