• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paper Thin Lollipops

JeanneCake

One of my accounts asked me today about making an ultra-thin lollipop - their client says that in France, lollipops are paper thin, or perhaps just a whole lot thinner than lollies made here in the US.

I told them that I only have regular sized sticks (the 5/16ths width) so any lollipops I made would be thicker, just to hold the stick in place. I don't have a source for thinner sticks, and plus they want these for next Friday.

I tried doing a google image search on "french lollipops", ultra thin lollipops but can't come up with anything that looks like what they are asking for.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas? I've never made lollipops before, but I imagine it is similar to making caramel and then pouring into a mold or onto parchment or a silpat.....

I have never heard of this lollipop, which isn't saying a lot, and I certainly have never made a very thin lollipop.

You have my sympathy.

You probably need to have another talk with your patron. :sad:

Good luck.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I don't live in France, but I do speak food French. A thorough search for 'les sucettes' yielded a great many versions of the french lollipop, not one of them paper thin. Chupa Chups seem to be popular, though.

I thought these looked fun

http://www.delicesdecandice.com/produits/les-cheris

And that website has a great many examples, again not one of them paper thin.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I don't live in France, but I do speak food French. A thorough search for 'les sucettes' yielded a great many versions of the french lollipop, not one of them paper thin. Chupa Chups seem to be popular, though.

I thought these looked fun

http://www.delicesdecandice.com/produits/les-cheris

And that website has a great many examples, again not one of them paper thin.

these look pretty cool!

I sent the link to the blog below to the account and told them that this would be what the lollipops looked like. I probably won't hear until the last minute that they want me to make the lollipops :)

I cannot begin to think why the client is saying that lollipops in France are paper thin; maybe it's just personal preference on their part. I would think a paperthin pop wouldn't ship without breaking anyway....

A paper thin lollipop would cut you if you ate wrong...

I love it! :raz:

Not a bad article on making lollipops, especially for someone who has never made lollipops before.

I don't follow everything exactly as she suggests...but then that's the way it usually is in cooking, as in everything else in life.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne, any advice you can offer would be very much appreciated! Of this I am confident: I will be asked on Wednesday to make lollipops for Friday. I have never made lollipops before, but I make Italian Meringue buttercream nearly every day so boiling sugar does not make me nervous. I also like to make caramel in a dry pan (ok, I rub it first with a cut lemon) so while it makes me nervous because this is a busy week for us, I am more worried about making them then finding out the next day they are too sticky to handle. And, they want clear lollipops, no color. I don't know if that makes any difference at all...

Darienne, any advice you can offer would be very much appreciated! Of this I am confident: I will be asked on Wednesday to make lollipops for Friday. I have never made lollipops before, but I make Italian Meringue buttercream nearly every day so boiling sugar does not make me nervous. I also like to make caramel in a dry pan (ok, I rub it first with a cut lemon) so while it makes me nervous because this is a busy week for us, I am more worried about making them then finding out the next day they are too sticky to handle. And, they want clear lollipops, no color. I don't know if that makes any difference at all...

Hi JeanneCake

All best. Soon you will be a lollipop maker extraordinaire. Hope the information I sent you is useful. Darienne

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.