• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Armenian Bakery in Boston?

The Food Buster

Hello everyone,

I just recently moved to Boston, and I'm looking for some really great Armenian baked goods in the local area. Having lived in LA my whole life and growing up in an Armenian household, I've always loved eating fresh bread and savory pastries. Does anybody know where I can get the best in the local Armenian district, Watertown? I'm specifically looking for gata, nazook, and Lahmejun, if anyone's heard of those.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Edmund Mokhtarian

Food and Wine Blogger

http://www.thefoodbuster.com

I don't know if you consider Providence part of the Boston area, but if you do there are a few Armenian bakeries down here. The best quality stuff I know of is made by Sonia at Sonia's on Park Ave in Cranston. I've seen gata and nazook there regularly but haven't tried it (just learned their names!), and I can say with confidence that the lahmejun is terrific. She caters, too -- that's what she did before the store opened formally -- so you probably could request specific other items.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

My experience is limited to Sevan's Bakery on Mt. Auburn Street. Their baked goods are excellent and they carry a wide variety of prepared food. I don't know if they have everything you're looking for but they always have lahmejun for lunch (I like the lamb version). I always walk away with lots more than I came for--muhammara, cheeses, pickles and jelly (sour cherry in my fridge at the moment), and cured meats such as sucuk (sp?) and pastirma.

Please report back when you've had the chance try some of the stores in the area, it would be good to get your recommendations given that you know the cuisine so well.

I don't live in Boston, but relayed your query to a friend who has frequented Armenian bakeries in Watertown for years and is a real enthusiast. She replied:

Oh yes there are several. 3 on Mt Auburn St: Massis Bakery, 569 Mt auburn St, Watertown 617-924-0537, Arax Market and Sevan Market. On Belmont st there is Eastern Lamaejun. All have everything; some things I like at some stores and some at others. But lately I have gone mostly to Massis. But I go to them all. They are all fantastic. Also there is a new restaurant and take out called Sofras on Belmont st. It is a bit more upscale and expensive but good as well. It is run by the chef at Oleanas, a very fine restaurant here that we have never been to but would like to sometime. This person will be in Armenian heaven. I was just at Massis and Arax today.

I hope this is helpful. Enjoy!

Edited by ekaim (log)