• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago: 4 day mini trip - where should I go on a budget?

ricardoyudi

Hey guys, I'm going to Chicago for a Design & Emotion conference in october and need some tips on where to go to eat.

I'm a chef and love every kind of good food, specially ones that involves a little bit of creativity and experience tweaks.

I wanted to go to Alinea (and that would be my only and one stop), but since I couldn't get a reservation I can now indulge to other places (and obviously on a somewhat tight budget).

Where would you go and take people who loves creative food etc? (keep in mind that most of the group are designers and would be interested on things like aesthetics, experience, emotions).

Thanks!!

yudi

always hungry...

While I wouldn't hold it up as an example of particularly good design, I think the aesthetics of The Publican are interesting, in a nouveau beer hall sort of way, and the food is consistently fantastic. Food wise, you could do much much worse than eating at any of Paul Kahan's places (Publican, Blackbird, Avec, Big Star).

Sepia has food and cocktails that live up to the intriguing decor of the former printing shop.

North Pond has striking views of the skyline from the middle of Lincoln Park and perfectly prepared farm-to-table style cuisine.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

I'd keep trying for a reservation. Even though it's Alinea, people do cancel.

Have you considered Schwa (also a tough reservation)? A bonus is that it's BYO, which will save some money.

You also might consider cocktails (and interesting bar food) at The Violet Hour (relatively uncrowded early, often crowded later).

I'm a psychologist, so that sounds like a great conference. I see it's at the Spertus Institute, on Michigan Ave right across from Grant Park and just a few blocks away from the Art Institute of Chicago (but you probably already knew that). You'll be right next to a very good tapas restaurant, Jose Garces's Mercat a la Planxa. You'll also be about six blocks from The Gage and Henri (I've not been to the latter).

I hope you have a great time in Chicago (it's hard not to)!

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Mercat's got a pretty cool dining room, so that's a good suggestion.

I'd also consider Province. Both the interior (and the food) and have interesting design elements, and is pretty reasonably priced given the quality of everything.

Province

161 N. Jefferson St.

Chicago, IL 60661

(312) 669-9900

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

I'm a little bit confused about what you're looking for. You say you're looking for places to go on a budget, but you also say you want to go to Alinea! And the responses from others are all over the map, price-wise, as well.

At the top of the pricing scale are the high-end haute cuisine places. Alinea is the most widely known, but you will also get great food, and pay $200+ per person inclusive, with moderate alcohol, at any of them: Charlie Trotter's, Everest, Avenues, Spiaggia, TRU, and Schwa. They're all excellent, but not cheap.

Then there are the "casual fine dining" places, where entrees may be in the mid twenties to mid thirties and you may pay anywhere from $75-110 pp. In this group, I think very highly of KD1191's recommendation of North Pond, for its exquisite setting in the park as well as for the contemporary American food from James Beard finalist Bruce Sherman. Another place I love is Cafe des Architectes in the Sofitel. I love it for the food, but an added bonus is that it's less expensive than many of our other contemporary American restaurants, with its $45 3-course prix fixe every night, and its $32 3-course "neighborhood friends menu" Sundays through Tuesdays. Cafe Spiaggia and Cibo Matto serve outstanding contemporary Italian fare, and we have great French bistros like La Sardine. Designers will also appreciate the contemporary design of Cibo Matto, which is in the new Wit Hotel, as well as the retro design of North Pond (the renovated building formerly served as a warming shelter for ice skaters on its adjacent namesake pond).

I also think many of our upscale ethnic restaurants, in this same price category, are excellent and worth visiting. These include Topolobampo/Frontera Grill and Mundial Cocina Mestiza for creative Mexican, Mexique for contemporary Mexican with a French accent, Red Light and Opera for pan-Asian, Alex's recommendation of Mercat a la Planxa for tapas, and Carnivale for Latin fusion.

Finally, there are all sorts of places in the "cheap eats" category, where you can dine for under $40 pp. There is our delicious local specialty of deep-dish pizza at Uno/Due, Lou Malnati's, and Pizano's, and Italian beef sandwiches and Chicago hot dogs at Portillo's. Lou Malnati's at 8th and State is near the Spertus Institute. For specialty sausages you can brave the 90+ minute waits at Hot Doug's or skip the lines by going to Franks 'n' Dawgs. And there are neighborhood restaurants, often simple storefronts, with inexpensive fare from just about any ethnicity - Greek, Thai, Chinese, Mexican, Vietnamese, Indian, and just about any other cuisine you can imagine.

For a breakfast treat, go to Bongo Room, a five minute walk south of Spertus, at Wabash and Roosevelt. Their specialty is creative pancakes, such as their pretzel pancakes with white chocolate caramel sauce. Tip: Their standard portion size is three gigantic pancakes, but you can also order one-third and two-thirds portion sizes at a reduced price, which lets you try more items.

Incidentally, Avec is currently closed due to a fatal fire, but is expected to re-open at the end of the month. I'm not particularly fond of it, due to the no-reservations policy and long waits to be seated, uncomfortable communal-only seating, and EXCESSIVE NOISE. Blackbird and Publican can also be ear-splitting.

Enjoy your trip, and feel free to ask more questions!

Edited by Mjx
Mexique now closed. (log)

What is your transportation like? If you have a car, I recommend Lou Malnati's for authentic Chicago Pizza. Its in Skokie, so it is a drive from the city. Rick Bayless also has a restaurant in Macy's flagship store on State Ave, if you crave Mexican. Hot Chocolate is a great late dessert place. If you need a beer, check out The Publican.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

What is your transportation like? If you have a car, I recommend Lou Malnati's for authentic Chicago Pizza. Its in Skokie, so it is a drive from the city.

Lou Malnati's - which does have authentic Chicago deep-dish pizza - has 31 locations in the city and suburbs, but none of them is in Skokie. The location I mentioned above is just a few blocks from the event where the OP is headed.

Rick Bayless also has a restaurant in Macy's flagship store on State Ave, if you crave Mexican.

First of all, the commercial street in the Loop is called State Street. And Bayless's "Fresco" fast-food outlets are really nothing great. Especially when the original restaurants are only half a mile from there.

If you want a late-night dessert, go to Fox & Obel, the gourmet grocer/cafe. Or do the dessert tasting at TRU. Or on weekends, consider the "Chocolate Bar" buffet of all-you-can-eat desserts at the Lobby in the Peninsula. I would not recommend Hot Chocolate.

I had about a 6-day trip to Chicago back a few months ago, so I really relate to what you're doing. I was traveling around, literally eating constantly as I did reviews of the whole food scene, especially the burgers, hot dogs, and pizza.

The results of my adventure:

1) Alinea is as good as they say. I'm sorry you couldn't get a reservation.

2) Hot Doug's serves the most unique and flavorful hot dogs I've ever seen in my life. About $2 for a phenomenal Chicago dog, and some of the odder creations include everything from a foie gras and duck sausage dog to antelope sausage with sweet mustard.

3) Hot Chocolate for the burger (with a fried egg) and desserts, especially the actual hot chocolate and the chocolate souffle. The dark hot chocolate is, in fact, one of the best I've had anywhere in the world (including Belgium, Spain, and several cities here).

4) Great Lake Pizza for the pizza. It's not deep dish, which is surprising for Chicago. Yet, it's the most technically excellent pizza I've ever had. Herbs are crushed straight into the fresh-made crust so that you exude a refreshing blast of herbs in every bite. Just get there early: there are only 4 tables in the whole place.

5) For a bakery, try Bleeding Heart. Its motto, "Sustainable Punk Rock Pastry," is a bit odd, but somehow they manage to deliver, elevating sustainable baking beyond what I thought it could be.

6) Frontera Grill for some of the best Mexican you'll ever have--and this is coming from an LA guy who's grown up eating Mexican. The Carne Asada is to die for. The ambience is amazing, too.

Hope that helps!

Edited by The Food Buster (log)

Edmund Mokhtarian

Food and Wine Blogger

http://www.thefoodbuster.com

Well, we all have our opinions!

Alinea is indeed terrific. While it gets lots of acclaim for its innovative molecular gastronomy, what often gets lost in the shuffle is that (a) the food is really, really delicious, and (b) the entire experience is a lot of fun.

I would never, ever tell anyone to go to Hot Doug's without also informing them that they will wait over 90 minutes standing in line outside at virtually any hour they are open (and no, this is not an exaggeration), and that it's very inconvenient to downtown, where most visitors from out of town stay. I was also not impressed at all with the food, but that's a matter of opinion. If you want creative sausages, at least save yourself the time and inconvenience by going instead to Franks 'n' Dawgs.

I just don't understand the praise for Hot Chocolate. What's even worse is any for Bleeding Heart Bakery, which is the worst bakery in the entire city IMHO - worse than the stuff you get at the neighborhood supermarket, and the only place I've been where the pastries are so bad I couldn't even finish one. If you want great baked goods and pastries, go to Fox & Obel downtown, or Vanille Patisserie (locations on Clybourn and in the French Market near the Loop), or Floriole Bakery four blocks east of Vanille's Clybourn location.

wow many thanks for all these great suggestions, I'll have to write them down and decide where to go now.

@ nsxtasy : going to Alinea would be my only "real deal meal", while the rest of the week I'd go to cheaper places.

I'll probably be taxi/train/bus dependant, I'm not sure which hotel I'm staying since another person is in charge of making the reservations. I know that the conference will be at IIT

3241 s. federal st

Chicago, IL 60616, United States

(312) 567-3000

The group might have Monday off to do some sightseeing, it would be cool to arrange some tourist route and finish it off with a "traditional" chicago meal (if there's such a thing).

I almost forgot, is it Motto worth? I know that the group would be excited to try some of Cantu's imaginative work.

And one last thing, any cook stores that might be good to shop at? I'm definately buying another microplane, the one that I have atm is so wasted.

always hungry...

going to Alinea would be my only "real deal meal", while the rest of the week I'd go to cheaper places.

I guess my question was really, how MUCH cheaper? Is a place like North Pond, with entrees in the thirties, okay? If so, you're only excluding about a dozen high-end restaurants in the entire city. If not, though, I would steer you in an entirely different direction.

I'll probably be taxi/train/bus dependant, I'm not sure which hotel I'm staying since another person is in charge of making the reservations. I know that the conference will be at IIT

Chicago has an excellent system of public transportation. The CTA runs els (subways) and buses in the city and nearby suburbs; Metra runs commuter trains to the suburbs. You can find some information on the Goroo website but I generally find it easier to look at the CTA and Metra websites to find my way around. IIT is near the 35th Street stop on the CTA Green Line which is only a few blocks over from the Sox-35th stop on the CTA Red Line.

The group might have Monday off to do some sightseeing, it would be cool to arrange some tourist route and finish it off with a "traditional" chicago meal (if there's such a thing).

Beware, many restaurants in Chicago are not open on Mondays, particularly our creative Mexican restaurants.

I'm not sure that there is a "traditional Chicago meal", because there are so many different kinds of food here. We're probably best known for our deep-dish pizza, which is one of the few things you can get here in Chicago but not elsewhere. We are especially good for many other types of food, and then it just becomes a matter of personal taste.

I almost forgot, is it Motto worth? I know that the group would be excited to try some of Cantu's imaginative work.

If you enjoy molecular gastronomy, with its unusual combinations of ingredients, preparation techniques, etc, then Moto is a good choice; along with Alinea and Schwa, it's one of three restaurants in Chicago which really specialize in it. However, it's not inexpensive, with its tasting menus costing $135 and $195. And it's not a substitute for Alinea.

And one last thing, any cook stores that might be good to shop at? I'm definately buying another microplane, the one that I have atm is so wasted.

For retail customers, the Chopping Block has locations in the Merchandise Mart downtown, and in Lincoln Square on the North Side. Sur La Table has a store in Lincoln Park on the North Side. For stores serving professionals in the industry, I've heard that there are several places in the 1100 block of West Madison Street just west of the Loop, notably Gold Brothers. And for cutlery, go to Northwestern Cutlery just west of the Loop (about half a mile from Gold Brothers). I've heard that there are some other restaurant equipment suppliers along Randolph Street roughly 700-1200W, which is where many restaurants have located in recent years (Red Light, Blackbird/Avec, La Sardine, etc) but for many years was an open-air market for produce and other restaurant supplies, and I guess some of those stores remain there. (This is also the same general area as Gold Brothers and Northwestern Cutlery, as well as Moto and the Publican.)

Click on links in my posts for more information about these places.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)