• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using Leftover Ganache

Marmalade

After making ganache slabs, truffles, etc. I often have trimmings from the guitar and sometimes small amounts of different flavored ganaches left over. I let these accumulate over time and freeze them, and usually have a kilo or two every couple of weeks. Usually, I cook it all into chocolate caramels, as this destroys all the different flavors and I end up with just a chocolate caramel. I'm looking for other ideas/uses for all my leftover ganache trimmings. What do other chocolate makers out there do?

Jeffrey Stern

www.jeffreygstern.com

http://bit.ly/cKwUL4

http://destination-ecuador.net

cocoapodman at gmail dot com

I often give the guitar trimmings as samples; however I have frozen the trimmings and added them to the next batch of the same flavour. I use a thermomix so blending in the trimmings is no issue at all.

I also had dr.ca make custom size ganache frames for me so I have very little waste when I cut a slab. Mind you, I have to be a little fussier when lining it up!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello all,

I have a big bowl of leftover ganache (well technically it was a cream glaze) and I was thinking of repurposing it for a chocolate fondue for Hanukkah. Does anyone have any tips on anything I could do - other than heating it? It's been in the fridge for a couple of weeks and is hard at that temp; I was thinking of heating it in a double boiler and maybe thinning with some additional cream, butter, or corn syrup. Any ideas on which would be most effective to make a fondue?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Ruth

Do you have a fondue pot? I'd try just simple reheating of the ganache in that, but if it's very solid you might have to add more cream to it (I wouldn't go butter - that has, in my experience, a tendency to crack the ganache).

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

• 1 year later...

How do you use your leftover ganache? I've filled many, many trays of molded chocolates but still have some left. Looking for ways that (ideally) don't require making a whole new dessert, but am open to quick and easy suggestions (cookies maybe?).

It never needs to go to waste. There are professional solutions (Wybaux's caramels come to mind), but at my house:

- My wife uses it to make ganache buttercream to ice her cakes

- Freeze it in the interim

- Sandwich between store bought cookies

- Pipe directly into my children's mouths    :smile:

- Swirl through ice cream or "thin" it with cream to make chocolate sauce for ice cream

- Pipe into ball shapes, let it set and roll in cocoa powder/icing sugar for truffles

Haha well yes, piping into the mouth is the obvious answer loll!! ;-).

I didn't know you could freeze it... How long does it last? On this cold note, when you freeze/refrigerate, how do you get it to a workable consistency? Microwave? Room temp for a few hours? I've refrigerated mine and if I nuke it for even 5 seconds to make it workable, it can throw it off and cause it to separate...

Anyhow, the truffle epiphany came to me at some point and I happily used it all up so I don't have to cast more molds for the same ganache.

Gap - how does Wybauw use ganache in his caramels?

Thanks for all the ideas!

I didn't know you could freeze it... How long does it last? On this cold note, when you freeze/refrigerate, how do you get it to a workable consistency? Microwave? Room temp for a few hours? I've refrigerated mine and if I nuke it for even 5 seconds to make it workable, it can throw it off and cause it to separate...

I don't know how long exactly it will last since i normally use up my leftovers rather quickly, but since ganache isn't something that easily spoils I think it should be fine in a closed container for a few weeks at least, especially frozen. I like to freeze leftover ganache in one of those disposable plastic piping bags- that way I can just leave it out on the kitchen counter to thaw or put the whole thing into a bowl of warm water(be careful that the water doesn't get in, obviously) to speed up the process. Just snip off the tip and use & secure the open end with a clip if you still have some left.

About freezing ganache leftovers:  If you wrap it really well, it will be fine for weeks.  Greweling points out that the "shelf-life clock effectively stops when the confections are frozen" (he is speaking of completely made chocolates, not just ganache, but his statement should apply to ganaches as well).  If you take the extra step of vacuum-sealing it first, it will last even longer.  I do this all the time.  It's good to have a decent vacuum sealer in any case, and when things are vacuum-sealed, they don't pick up odors from other frozen items or acquire that freezer taste.  I would not use the microwave to soften ganache--too much danger of overdoing it.  I move mine from freezer to fridge a day ahead (it's been frozen still in its piping bag), then bring it to room temp, remove it from the bag, cut it into chunks, put them in a bowl over warm water, stirring frequently until it melts (to prevent separation) and using an immersion blender if it isn't entirely smooth. After that, it's as good as new.  It's great to have around if, for example, you get a surprise dinner invitation--nothing like lining a few cavities with chocolate and filling with leftover mint ganache as a last-minute gift of after-dinner mints.  One time I was making chocolates for serving at a benefit dinner, and I used up all the leftover ganaches in the freezer. If you weigh the ganache and compare the figure to the weight of the original amount you made, you can get a feel for approximately how many cavities it will fill.  In the case of the benefit, it didn't matter how many pieces of each flavor I had as they were all put on plates and passed around.  People loved the variety.

Piping it directly into the mouth is the first choice for my 16 yo daughter. (This is the same kid who ate WHOLE BAG of Felchlin in two days.)

My 10 yo will just grab the bowl and take a spoon to it. 

My sister-in-law like to warm it up, and use it dip fruit in- like a fondue of sorts.  (She made me gag when she dipped bananas into the chocolate mint a few years ago. Ewwww!)

I, on the other hand, like to spread it in between cake layers, or use in place of frosting on brownies. If its a soft ganache, dippling cookies or graham crackers in it is a real treat.   I've used the thicker ganache to make graham-cracker sammies.  My Mom used to put frosting in between the crackers, which we loved. But, ganache makes a wonderfully rich treat! 

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Wybauw's first book Fine Chocolates, Great Experience has a recipe called black devils. They are essentially chocolate caramels but he gives instructions for using rejected pralines as part of the recipe.