• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mixed vegetable pickles

andiesenji

Mixed Pickled Vegetables

1 pound sweet banana peppers cut into strips (or substitute any sweet pepper you like)

2 Hungarian hot banana peppers cut into rings (use more if you like more spice heat or use other hot peppers)

1/2 pound cucumbers, cut into 1/4 inch slices, cut on diagonal

2 carrots, cut into 1/4 inch rounds - or into long thin strips if you have a mandoline

1/2 pound cauliflower flowerettes

1/2 pound broccoli flowerettes

1 cup peeled boiling onions (the red variety are very nice)

12 peeled garlic cloves

6 cups cider vinegar

3 cups water

2 tablespoons pickling salt (must be non-iodized)

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup mustard seed

2 tablespoons dill seed

2 tablespoons celery seeds

1 tablespoon caraway seeds (use black caraway if you have it)

8 whole cloves

10 whole peppercorns

Wash vegetables, seed peppers and prepare them and other vegetables as suggested or as you prefer.

Place vegetables, onions and garlic in a four quart container - I use a Cambro clear square type - with a lid that will seal tightly.

Measure vinegar, water, salt and sugar into a 3-quart saucepan and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat so liquid is just simmering.

Add the spices, stir well and simmer for 8 minutes.

Strain the hot liquid and pour over the vegetables, cover loosely with a towel and set aside to cool.

When cooled, cover with lid and allow to sit at room temp for 24 hours.

Store in refrigerator.

Recipe developed by Andie

I have also posted this in RecipeGullet

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett