• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Curlew - Bodiam

The Curlew is a bit out of the way, but it seemed a good spot (came highly recommended by some foodies) for a birthday lunch after a spot at Bodiam Castle. Some have rated it on a higher level than The Sportsman, but I'm not sure I'd go quite that far.

The menu is concise and offers vegetarian and 'light lunch' options, as well as the usual mains and starters. We opted for the light lunch (choice of 2 or 3 courses) because we are travelling quite a bit this month.

The bread was served with butter plus a pile of pork drippings infused with thyme... a great way to start the meal. A tart of carmelised onions with large ceps was delicious and served with new potatoes. My partner had a smoked chicken salad, also well-prepared. Desserts were a great ending to the meal, served in very 'smart' surroundings. My pick was a wonderful plum crumble full of large chunks of plums and not too much crumble served with yogurt ice cream.

Service was helpful and spot on, too.

Jay Rayner, if it is of any interest, praised this restaurant.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that review. She took very good photos, something I rarely seem to remember to do until I am in the car going home! I'm just lucky that we live south of London and have access to many wonderful eating experiences. I'd like to go back during the winter and try their menu again at that time of year.

I'm beginning not to miss NYC all that much. :-)