• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food tours, tastings and other gastro activities in Prague

Saborosa

Hi Kirsten,

I was there a few years ago and have to say that it has been pretty bad experience.

Prague has great beer, but for food it was quite bad.

The local cuisine is quite heavy with lots of pork,sausages, dumplings etc. Simple pub grub. Filling but not exactly great taste.(Kinda bland o my taste)

Examples are U Fleku and Kolkovna.

They were OK but you get pretty bored/fedup after a few days. But if this is your thing....you'll have great fun exploring the different beerplaces. Food here is quite cheap too. If you stay in teh old city you can visit all tehse places by foot.

I tried some higher end restaurant like Cowboy steakhouse(same owner as kampa park) and it was one of the worst dining experiences of my life. Very expensive high end place and the food was simply awfull. They managed to serve the sideorders first....and 20 minutes later the main course arrived.

Tried a few others and all i came out with...great places(very posh), high end prices and alas mediocre food. IMO dont waste your money in these places.

One restaurant I can recommend is called Ambiente Restaurante Brasileiro in the old town. Is a brazilian churrascaria with teh wellknown all you can eat formula. It was all kinda salty...but still quite tasty. We all enjoiyed eating here...not sure if the food was so great. OR our taste got dumbed down after a week in Prague. Anyway only place i can actually recommend.

Anyway lower your expectations and it would be ok.