• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oven Mitts or Side Towels?

Shalmanese

I hadn't heard that about microfiber. I've washed my microfiber cleaning cloths for glasses (i.e. spectacles) with no apparent ill effect. I make sure not to use fabric softener on them. Eventually they seem to lose their wonderful cleaning properties, but they do that even more quickly if I don't wash them periodically.

I too wash my oven mitts occasionally, usually in a vain attempt to revive their good looks. I should just buy new ones, but good ones are darned expensive.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The nastiness is what I hate about oven mitts...no mitts or potholders here...just bar mops...they're great...fold them over a couple times and they provide much more protection than mitts or potholders and they're easy to clean.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I bought a pair of Calphalon pot holders several years ago. The long ones with the silicone stripes on the fabric. Love them!!! I got black so they'd stay looking cleaner a little longer. Best potholders I've ever had and I feel like I got my money's worth out of them. And, they're still going strong after all this time. Sometimes (often) you get what you pay for.