• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savory applications for marshmallows

CanadianBakin'

I recently made vanilla marshmallows and added the spices that I usually put in my pumpkin cheesecake. They taste amazing and we discovered that not only do they taste good plain, they're amazing melted on a latte and taste great eaten on a Moroccan spice cracker. Someone mentioned that they would taste good as a garnish on butternut squash soup and I bet they'd up the standard sweet potato casserole by quite a notch.

So my question is: Do you ever use your homemade marshmallows in a savoury application? What are those or do you have any ideas that you think might work?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I've used the bbq marshmallow from the Chadzilla blog. I did a candy-themed bbq app which was basically a mini sandwich of pulled pork hock on a bacon biscuit with tootsie roll bbq sauce and a bbq marshmallow on a small stick that I torched and leaned against the sandwich.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The BBQ marshmallows look great!

I don't think I explained myself very well in my original request. I was looking for savoury applications for sweet marshmallows. Where would a hit of sweet and possibly spicy enhance a savoury dish?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

• 2 weeks later...

I remember at michael minas the pastry department made a grains of paradise marshmallow for one of the entrees, cant remember what.

Brown sugar/jack daniels marshmallow could be good for pork loin

Port wine marshmallow could be good for duck.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea